3. Celebrity Solstice
My husband and I are both 30 and this was the first cruise for both of us. We booked a Concierge Class room on the 12th deck (where the Pool and Spa were) and could not have picked a better location. We were at the very front of the hallway near the elevators, but never heard any noise from people walking by or the elevators. It was great to be able to walk right out of the room to the pool deck or just up one flight of stairs to the Oceanview Cafe. We signed up for a Cruise Critic "meet & mingle" party which proved to be a huge mistake as there were several people who showed up apparently just to complain. It was only the second day of the cruise and this loud obnoxious woman kept going on and on about all the things that she disliked about the ship. Another fellow was griping about the shore excursions. I'm thinking, you KNEW what they were before you booked the cruise, so if you weren't interested, then why did you pick this ship?!? Anyhow...it was a colossal waste of time, and I wish we hadn't gone. I actually felt sorry for the cruise director because I could tell he was caught off guard being bombarded with complains so early in the trip! Dining - we ate lunch mostly at the Oceanview Cafe. It was fine. Nothing spectacular. We ate breakfast there each day as well - also fine, but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed our dinners in the main dining room. Our waiter was great and the meals were good. Again, nothing over the top...not really as fancy as I was expecting. But not bad, either. We ate several meals at the Bistro on Five and it was excellent! Well worth the $5 per person service charge. Room - As I mentioned, we had a Concierge Class room with a balcony. It was really nice. Plenty of storage for clothing. Bathroom was big (compared to what I was expecting) with a roomy shower. The balcony was great, and I think I will never be able to cruise again without getting a balcony room. The bed was VERY comfy. With Concierge Class we got daily hors d'oeuvres delivered each afternoon. Some were good, some weren't. Staff - I found the staff to be very friendly, although some of the waiters on the pool deck were a little pushy with the drinks. I did feel like they were told to "upsell" as much as possible. Pool - I never got IN the pool (as the outdoor pool was always filled with children), but laid out on the pool deck quite a bit. They definitely could do a better job of monitoring the people who would throw their towel on a chair and then leave it for HOURS. That was frustrating when the chairs would fill up and you couldn't find a place to sit, yet most of the chairs were empty except for a towel or magazine thrown on them. Tenders - SHOW UP EARLY for tickets. My husband went down to get tender boat tickets for us for Santorini and he got there half an hour before they were supposed to start handing them out and there was already a line. The bottom line is that you are only in port for a few hours, so if you don't get on one of the first few tender boats then you are really cutting into your sightseeing time. Shows - Well, the shows starring the Solstice cast were painful to watch. The dancing was so simplistic and the Broadway-style shows were cheesy. Some of the singers were good, but my husband and I couldn't get past the cheesiness. It just all seemed like junior high level performance. The other shows with outside performers were all much more enjoyable. Do not miss the Hot Glass Show or the Martini Bar. Both are extremely fascinating/entertaining! All in all it was a fabulous experience. The ship is just gorgeous and we found ourselves continually in awe the entire week. We would definitely sail Celebrity again!

I think we are officially spoiled

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by alliesun98

My husband and I are both 30 and this was the first cruise for both of us.
alliesun98’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Lots of storage, great location. Good sized balcony.
  Celebrity Solstice Deck Plans

• Athens (Piraeus)
    Our experience in Athens was pretty miserable. There were 6 cruise ships docked in Athens while we were, so everything was RIDICULOUSLY crowded. We spent several hours at the Acropolis only to be stuck in swarms of people all shoving their way to the top in hundred degree heat. Our tour - which we booked through the cruise - was not worth the money AT all. I was very disappointed that we missed out on so many great sights in Athens.
    View All 1,252 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Istanbul
    We booked the "Istanbul over 2 days" excursion through the cruise ship. I felt like we saw quite a bit and our guide was very knowledgeable. I was disappointed with the lack of time we were able to spend at the Grand Bazaar (less than an hour). On the second day they had a rug demonstration which I skipped so I could go back down to the bazaar to do a bit more shopping.
    View All 403 Istanbul Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Istanbul Cruise Port Review
  • Kusadasi
    We booked the "Best of Ephesus" tour through the cruise ship. Good tour, although I could have done without the "Basilica of St. John" or the "Archeological Musem". Ephesus was amazing - although crowded and hot.
    View All 624 Kusadasi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kusadasi Cruise Port Review
  • Naples
    We booked the "Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii" tour through the ship and it was good - but rushed. The island of Capri is small - pretty - but skippable in my opinion. I wish we would have skipped Capri and Sorrento and just spent the whole day in Pompeii. By the time we got to Pompeii we only had time to see about 1/4 of the city. It was so amazing and I would have really liked to see the entire thing.
    View All 1,419 Naples Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Naples Cruise Port Review
  • Santorini
    We explored Santorini on our own. Got on the first tender boat to shore and when we got to the island we opted to take the donkey ride up to Fira. Highly recommend :) Only 5 euro!
    When we got to Fira we went straight to the bus station and caught the bus to Oia. Spent a few hours there and then bused back to Fira to shop a little before taking the cable car back down to the dock to catch a tender boat back.
    It felt a little rushed and I wish they docked there longer.
    Definitely make sure you go to Oia - the views are breathtaking!
    View All 1,013 Santorini Cruise Port Reviews