• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Koningsdam Review

Editor Rating

New ship but physical problems

Review for Koningsdam to the Baltic Sea
uniques19
10+ Cruises • Age 80s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Apr 2017
Cabin:

Wanted a Mediterrean cruise on Holland America and was pleased with the brochure choice of ports and the trans Atlantic trip. I use a cane so I choose a cabin mid-ship, both horizontally and vertically for ease of access to all parts of the ship. However, after leaving Rome on the 2nd leg of the journey, on Monday, my cabin flooded in the middle of the night and I was given a "sleeping cabin" on the first floor directly under the BB King lounge. The soundproofing in the ceiling was either poor or nonexistent and sleeping was difficult. I spent 3 days commuting from my original cabin on the 5th floor which was unusable due to blowers, dehumidifiers, etc. Thus each day I had to pack what I needed for dinner at night and clothes for the next day. Finally on Thursday, I was offered a permanent move to another balcony cabin on the 8th floor aft - way aft! This also lacked good soundproofing and I heard the chairs being moved on the Lido pool deck continually.

All of the usual Holland America services were up to snuff . All 3 sets of cabin attendants, food, service, entertainment made the trip what I expected. But a new ship should have adequate soundproofing when cabins are designed under entertainment areas or other noise producing areas.

Most disappointing!

Port Reviews

Mykonos

Not told there was a 1/2 mile walk from the dock to the bus, and those of us who don't walk well were surprised that "easy" involved this long walk. On our return, the bus driver arranged for a water taxi (2Euros) directly back to the transit dock.

Ponta Delgada

Shared a taxi with other travelers and found the Island lovely. Our driver s oke English and was agreeable to stops etc.

Malaga

Shared a taxi and had a great tour, totally self directed.

Santorini

A good overview of the Island and a chance to try the wine of the area.

Naples

Shared a cab to explore Sorrento and Porotofino at our own pace and direction.

5 Helpful Votes