3. Dawn Princess
We booked this cruise in June 2016 and looked forward to it very much. Things changed after about day 2. The majority of passengers were 75 years old up to around 87 years old. I have nothing against the elderly and it is great to see them still enjoying an active life. The activities on the ship seemed to cater for this age group which made the trip extremely uneventful and boring for my husband and I. My husband and I are 58 and 59 and were expecting a few more activities that we could enjoy. The highlight of our days were meal times. The food was excellent and the service from the staff outstanding. Cannot fault either. We chose an inside cabin which was a mistake as it was extremely claustrophobic and I felt I needed to open a window. We asked to be moved to an outside cabin but the ship was booked out. This is not a criticism of the ship but advice for anyone considering an inside cabin. The prices on board the ship are horrendous. $10.00 for a glass of wine $ 33.00 for a bottle that retails for $7.00 at our local bottle shop. $ 30.00 for a bingo card and the shore excursions are over the top. A camel ride at Cable Beach Broome is $ 45.00 if you chose to do it on your own and $ 200.00 if you go through the cruise ship. There should be a law against it. The staff are constantly at you to sign up for wine tasting which offers wine at $105.00 a bottle. Very much hard sell. It got to the point where we would be rude to them so they would stop asking us to participate. We heard a story from a coach driver whoused to drive coaches for Princess passengers on trips to the Hunter Valley Wineries. Princess charged their passengers $ 400 per person for the wine tour ( a coach of 48 people). The coach company got $ 900.00 for this service and the Cruiseline pocketed the balance. ( over $18,000.00 ) You have to register your credit card with them and you are then issued with a card which is scanned ( or not- sometimes they just write down your number on a pad ) when you purchase anything ie drinks or tours. We heard some stories of people getting incorrect charges on their statement. Our first stop was Brisbane where we caught up with our son for lunch- a great day for us. Then we had 2 sea days before we docked at Cairns. The most boring 2 days of our lives. There was NOTHING to do except wait for meal times and wander aimlessly around the ship. After 5 days on board we decided to jump ship in Cairns and fly home. Summary: Ship is old and tired Toilet had good days and bad days with flushing. Boring activities Food excellent Staff outstanding- in every department- dining room- our cabin staff- bar staff- all fantastic. Inside cabin- I needed a window. Comfortable bed. We will never cruise again

Not what we expected!

Dawn Princess Cruise Review by Wren 58

We booked this cruise in June 2016 and looked forward to it very much.

Things changed after about day 2.

After 5 days on board we decided to jump ship in Cairns and fly home.

Summary:

Ship is old and tired

Toilet had good days and bad days with flushing.

Boring activities

Food excellent

Inside cabin- I needed a window. Comfortable bed.

We will never cruise again
Wren 58’s Full Rating Summary
Get Dawn Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IC R343
Shouldn't have chosen and interior cabin- too closed in.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins