3. Norwegian Jewel
This is our third time with NCL on the Mexican Riviera. Our second cruise on the Jewel. The Jewel was refurbished since the last time we were on it although I don't remember any significant differences from our 2014 cruise. The ship's condition was, in general, quite good. Our inside cabin (10617) was, well, an inside cabin. A nice quiet one mostly thanks to quiet neighbors. Deck 10 is nice since it is below other cabins. I wouldn't recommend anything on Deck 11 (where all the mini-suites are) because of the potential noise from the activities (restaurants, pool, gym, Splash Academy) above on Deck 12. I am a guy who wants to be asleep by 10 p.m. The only criticism of the particular cabin I have is that the lower portion of the shower appears to be deteriorating. Minor issue. Our cabin steward, Deu, was efficient. Good towel animals--always a source of amusement for me. We ate at Garden Cafe, Teppanyaki, Cagney's, Le Bistro, and Moderno. All were very good to excellent. I learned that one now has to ask for smoked salmon at breakfast in the Garden Cafe. A minor hassle but I got my beloved salmon most mornings. The steaks at Cagney's always are excellent, and my lamb at both Moderno and Le Bistro were top notch too. Service left little to be desired at any of the specialty restaurants. The evening shows were all good. We attended each one except for one of the comedians. I've seen "Band on the Run" a few times before. Always entertaining. "Luminescence" with the acrobats was new to me and the lighting effects were very engaging. I did attend a "meet and greet" with three of the performers. It was interesting to hear about their history and experience onboard. The gymnast/dancer from the Ukraine, Alexis, was very personable and told us a bit of his struggles to get from the Ukraine to a job with NCL. I "invested" in a pass to the Thermal Suites at the spa on the advice of other folks on Cruise Critic. A great investment. The men's side of the area was generally quiet, a good place to relax with a wonderful view from forward on Deck 11. The facilities are pretty compute with hot tub, steam, sauna and assorted showers. I found the common room (which includes heated tile couches) to be full of people who yammered constantly. I mostly avoided it. There is a sign what requests quiet but even the crew members don't respect it. Having been on the same cruise before, we limited our shore excursions to a great walk around Mazatlan. It is worth walking to the beach and seeing the divers and the great sculptures. I was not approached by annoying street vendors. The only annoyance was super aggressive cab drivers trying to lure us into a cab when we wanted to walk. I'm thinking pepper spray next time but that would be wrong. In Puerta Vallarta, we walked around a bit, visiting the local Starbucks. Embarkation was a breeze. I noticed there was a section for Platinum and Platinum Plus but once we had our key cards, we walked directly onto the Jewel (and into the Garden Cafe). Disembarkation was OK too but the lines getting off as we descended the ramps were confusing. No big deal. We had an 8:45 a.m. disembarkation time scheduled and were on our ground transport and rolling by 9 a.m. I thought the Cruise Director, Pedro, was "OK". We all have our on tastes. The Cruise Next lady, Cristina, was helpful. The session with the ship's officers (Captain, Hotel Director, Engineering head) was very interesting and worth attending. I'm a daily gym rat. The gym on the Jewel is fairly large (and I did note that the floors had been replaced since my last visit there), and has adequate equipment. It opened at 6 a.m. daily. I appreciated that. Some mornings it was fairly full, other times pretty empty. The stationary bikes, stair steppers and treadmills all have good entertainment options if you have plug-in headphones to go with the video. Their is a locker room attached. I appreciate the Bridge viewing room aft on Deck 11. It is run to see the bridge. No tours of the area. We did get to see backstage, the laundry area and the main kitchens. Worth the walk. No children on this trip so I can't comment about that. I attended a couple spa-related sessions (free) with the acupuncturist, Echo, and the "Good Feet" gym guy, David. They were both interesting. I didn't buy anything. I would definitely go on the same cruise again.

Another very good Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Jewel

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Mike D.

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

No children on this trip so I can't comment about that.

I would definitely go on the same cruise again.
Mike D.’s Full Rating Summary