3. Queen of the Mississippi
The cruise on the lower half of the Mississippi River was a thoroughly enjoyable week. I wanted to observe traffic on the river, as well as check out what development is or isn’t (or once was) on the banks of the river. All of that was just fascinating. Boarding the ship in Memphis was remarkably smooth, thanks to a very organized team who know their logistics. The side trips (Vicksburg battlefield, where Coca-Cola was first made and sold, plantation homes, and a swamp tour) were fine but not the point of the cruise for me. Thanks to the variety of the speakers available to us, the history of the river came alive. And yes, I ate and ate and ate, as we had breakfast, mid-morning warm cookies, lunch, tea, hors d’oeuvres and drinks, dinner and after dinner drinks – with grazing available throughout the day. I gained five pounds and I blame it all on the wonderful server (Ryan) at our table, as well as the superb cruise directors (Austin, Alyse and Chris) who could not have been more attentive. My room had everything I needed and was well tended to by the crew under the watchful eye of DeMarco. In other words, you can not ask for a better staff to take care of you while you are experiencing the magic of life on the Mississippi. Disembarking in New Orleans meant the saying goodbye to new friends, but a wonderful opportunity to explore the trolleys and more eating in New Orleans!

The perfect way to see the Mississippi River