3. Norwegian Epic
Firstly, I need to point out that the reason for this bad review is not so much the fault of NCL or the management & crew of the Norwegian Epic (although they do need to take responsibility for making and enforcing changes) but more my fellow passengers. All the points and remarks I am about to make I have already made while onboard and since by email to NCL so, at future Cruise Critic Meet & Greets aboard, the Hotel Manager will have no reason to say "We do read what is put on Cruise Critic and sometimes we feel we were on a different cruise." I was already on the Norwegian Epic when it arrived in Barcelona for the start of this cruise having sailed from Port Canaveral. From the time the new passengers boarded in Barcelona the whole vibe of the ship changed for the worse. I knew that as it was holiday time that there would be a lot more kids and young families aboard for this cruise but what I had not bargained for were so many (not all by any means) irresponsible parents and guardians. Sometimes it resembled scenes from the TV series 'Benidorm'. The Norwegian Epic in general appears very well maintained and kept clean. However, during this voyage the staff were obviously overstretched in maintaining the usual high standards and quite often toilets in public areas were not as clean as they should have been. On one occasion I was using the toilet outside Bliss when a drunk Brit came in, not only did he urinate on the floor but also over my shoes and then staggered out without washing his hands. Disgusting! As I had other matters in hand, I was in no position to say anything to this disgusting individual but the incident was reported to security and the next time I visited the toilet it had been cleaned up. Also, with so many uncontrolled kids running around with food in their hands quite often the stairways and passageways were dirty with food debris. On this part of my voyage I was in a Studio. Excellently maintained and cleaned although there was a sliding door missing from one of the wardrobes. Probably my biggest criticism of the studios is the lack of storage room. The Studio Lounge was in general well maintained but on a couple of nights it was obvious that nobody had visited to check it over, clean the coffee machine or refill the water. This was reported to Guest Services. During this voyage I dined in Le Bistro, La Cuchina, The Manhattan Room, Shanghai, Taste and The Garden Cafe. The wait lines to be seated were only bad for The Manhattan Room but as the menu is the same in Taste it was just a matter of changing venue where I never experienced a wait. With the exception of The Garden Cafe, the service in the restaurants was very good (if a little slow in The Manhattan Room on one occasion) with very good interesting menus and the food arriving well presented and warm where applicable. Really, The Garden Cafe was a no go area especially during the day, unless you wanted to pick up some kind of bug during your visit, because of the uncontrolled children running through the venue, picking up food, taking a bite and then throwing the remains back onto the serving areas. With health & hygiene and fellow passenger comfort in mind, unaccompanied children should not be allowed into any food/dining area and under no circumstances should children be allowed to serve themselves. There should be a separate area within The Garden Cafe, close to the 'kiddies' food area, where young families can dine leaving the rest of the passengers to dine in peace without packs of uncontrolled kids running around. The standard of entertainment on the Norwegian Epic was as high as ever with 'Burn the Floor' and 'Priscilla ....' being the highlights for me. The Cruise Director and his team worked so hard during this voyage that they deserve a bravery award. There was so much going on during the evening that it was not possible to see all that I wanted and also due to the numbers aboard trying to pre-book proved difficult for some shows but as I am Platinum Plus with NCL I did get priority admittance. Overall, it has to be said that the service in the bars on this voyage was severely lacking at times especially in Bliss, which had not been good during the Atlantic crossing. One evening in Bliss I waited 30 minutes to be served and in the end walked to shakers to get a drink. Normally I would have said it was the design of the bar in Bliss that is the problem but on several evenings there was less staff than normal trying to deal with large numbers of passengers. So in conclusion. The Norwegian Epic is not designed for such a high number of young families that were aboard on this voyage. The pool area could not have taken any more people sitting or playing around it. The onboard crew did an excellent job of managing the uncontrolled kids while SOME guardians/parents smoked and drank off to one side totally uninterested in what their kids were doing. More should have been done by NCL staff to manage all the unaccompanied towels and bags used to 'reserve' sun loungers in the quiet areas for hours on end. For passenger comfort and health & hygiene reasons NCL need to implement and enforce rules regarding unaccompanied children in restaurants and at no time should children be allowed to serve themselves with or touch food. There needs to be a curfew put in place for children under a certain age, as there was in the past. On more than one occasion I came across packs of children playing in the forward stairwell at after 1 in the morning. Reported to Guest services of course.

A Disaster No, A Nightmare Yes

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Dorothy's Friend

Dorothy's Friend’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Studio
Cabin T1 11526
A wonderful NCL first designed for the solo traveler. All that a solo traveler needs in a small space with modern funky lighting but could do with a little more storage space. Plus, exclusive use most of the day of the Studio Lounge. My studio was well maintained apart from a missing wardrobe door and kept very clean
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins