3. Norwegian Star
We chose this cruise because of the amazing itinerary. We started in Dubai and traveled to Fujairah, two ports in Oman, Jordan, two ports in Egypt, overnight in Israel, Crete, Croatia, and overnight in Venice. Our 20 night leg was part of the Star's world cruise. Check-in in Dubai was a breeze and cabins were ready by 1 PM and luggage was delivered by 3 PM. I loved the Star! She is a medium size ship (about 2300 passengers) and reminds me of what a cruise ship should be. The newer, larger ships lack the style and class of these older ships. The Versailles Dining Room was classy and inviting, not sterile. The Atrium had glitz. Well, you get the idea. We had a mini-suite. Yes, the décor was a little tired, but it was a nice, clean cabin. I loved the coffee pot in our cabin. It was great to have coffee on the balcony when I got up. The bathroom was great. We had a tub with shower and I love those shower doors as opposed to those pesky shower curtains. The shelving in the closet was awkward as your hanging garments blocked them off. If you like Fox News, you'd be happy with the news channel, however, I think CNN would be a much better choice for news. We had some great meals on the Star, but the very best were the burgers at O'Sheehan's! They were great burgers and O'Sheehan's is open 24 hours. We had dinner 3 times at Cagney's, once at Tepanyaki, once at Moderno, once at Le Bistro, and once at La Cucina. I liked Cagney's the best, but they were all very good. I usually had breakfast at the buffet. The food was great, except for the soft ice cream which was awful, but it was like eating in a high school cafeteria. The tables were way too close and there was a lack of any kind of décor. Dinners were usually at Versailles or Aqua and both were quite lovely. The food in these restaurants was very good. I do miss lobster night and those shrimp cocktails. We didn't go to all the shows, but the ones we did go to were very good. The Star's in-house singers and dancers were excellent. There was a lot of real talent there. The crew on the Star were just wonderful! They were friendly and attentive. We had excellent service in the restaurants and our room steward was the greatest.

Amazing Itinerary!

Vagabondvoyager’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11068
As I stated above, the cabin décor was a little tired, but was comfortable and always clean. I loved the in-room coffee pot. The bathroom had a good layout and the shower had a door instead of a curtain. I wish they would have had CNN for news coverage on the TV. The closet was large with a lot of hangers, but the shelves in the closet were hard to get at. The balcony was spacious compared to the new cruise ships and we enjoyed sitting out there, plenty of room for two people.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Petra Walking Tour
    There were only 7 of us on our tour of Petra and it was much easier to get around with such a small group. Expect to do a lot of walking on this tour! Petra is a must see site and was on my "bucket list" for a long time. From Petra, we did a tour of Wadi Rum where they filmed Lawrence of Arabia and recently The Martian.
    View All 81 Petra Walking Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    We were picked up at our hotel, the Best Western Premier Deira, and went to see the Burj al Arab hotel (outside view) and then went to the Jumeirah Grand Mosque for an outside visit. Next we went to the Dubai Museum for a tour. We crossed Dubai Creek on a traditional boat and toured the Spice Market and then the Gold Souk.
    View All 37 City Tour Reviews
  • Dinner Cruise
    We had a buffet dinner on a traditional dhow boat. The food was good and we were entertained by a whirling dervish.
    View All 3 Dinner Cruise Reviews
  • Dubrovnik
    I had been to this beautiful city before and had "walked the wall" and done the cable car, which I highly recommend. This time we just strolled the streets and visited the churches and did some shopping. The ship provided a shuttle bus to and from the pier for $15 round trip.
    View All 1,218 Dubrovnik Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dubrovnik Cruise Port Review
  • Haifa (Tel Aviv)
    We were in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, a moving experience. We did a walking tour of the Old City and I was able to put a message in the Wailing Wall. We went to the top of the Mount of Olives and then to another view of the city.
    View All 162 Haifa (Tel Aviv) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Haifa (Tel Aviv) Cruise Port Review
  • Muscat
    Muscat was very interesting. We stopped at the Grand Mosque for pictures and then toured the Muscat Museum. We went to Sultan Qaboos Palace for pictures and then to a souk for shopping. Our guide was good and the people were friendly.
    View All 159 Muscat Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Muscat Cruise Port Review
  • Valley of the Kings
    We were a group of 11 which enabled us to see some wonderful sites. First, we went to the Valley of the Kings. We entered two tombs (Ramses the IV and Ramses the IX) and I chose to pay $6 extra to enter King Tut's tomb. What a thrill. Our next visit was to Habu Temple. We had an excellent lunch at the Nile View Restaurant and then took a boat across the Nile to the Temple of Karnak. These ruins are just amazing! Our last stop was at the Temple of Luxor and was very interesting. The ride from the ship to Luxor is about 3.5 hours which made for a very long day, but I wouldn't have missed these sights.
    View All 15 Valley of the Kings Reviews
  • Salalah
    The first stop on our tour was a souk for some shopping. Then we climbed the mountain to Job's tomb. Last stop was Mughsail Beach. The beach was beautiful and well worth a visit.
    View All 28 Salalah Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Salalah Cruise Port Review
  • Venice
    Having been to Venice several times before, I took the water bus over to St Mark's Square. The ticket booth was right outside of where we left the ship and it was a short walk to the water bus. The round trip ticket to St. Mark's was 15 Euros.
    View All 1,467 Venice Cruise Port Reviews