3. Pride of America
We chose this cruise because it was the only one to start and stop in Honolulu and we had the opportunity to see many islands. Our first impression of the ship was that it was very elegant looking. But beneath the façade is a ship that's in ill repair, without enough staffing, or without enough staff that cares. I am guessing they already know that reviews would not be good for this ship because for the first time ever, we were not given any opportunity to review our experience. We had an aft facing cabin with a door that stuck to the point where you had to almost break it to get in or out of the room. We reported this to our cabin steward twice during the cruise. He said he would take care of it. He did not. We had several other broken things in the room like the drawers that wouldn't close. Again, nothing. Given the amount of rust on the balcony, I'm amazed it didn't fall in. My husband encountered one passenger in the rest room who was yelling at an officer because his toilet hadn't worked in three days. He said he talked to his steward and guest services and nothing was done. That's the level of service you can expect. Speaking of our cabin...our cabin steward was very friendly, but hell bent that our room was only getting one cleaning a day. We had to corner him on two occasions while he was in his usual position of leaning on the wall and talking to the other stewards, to request new towels. He reluctantly picked up our towels. On the days he did not, our nightly turn down service was at noon. Oh yeah...cutbacks...no mint. Moving on, wear and tear could be seen everywhere - from carpets to walls. One highlight was the dining room. The restaurant hostess, Lindsey, gave us a wonderful little table for two every night, so we had the same wait staff: Gum and Mariangel. they were very friendly and efficient. The food was fine, mostly comfort foods, but nicely presented and tasty. The chef does need to learn to cook steak. On two separate occasions we ordered their strip steak medium rare and both times it was sent back because it was well done. We made, then cancelled reservations at Cagney's Steakhouse. We usually visit three or four specialty restaurants on a cruise, but since they have now changed to ala carte pricing, (and we didn't know who would be cooking the steaks!) we opted for the main dining room. It had been a couple of years since we cruised with NCL and I was amazed that so many things were at an additional cost. First, there was the ala carte menus at the specialty restaurants. Then there was the cost of drinks. Their ridiculous (free) drink package was not available on this ship and since they charge you tips on the cost of what you might drink in advance - for a couple this is about $30 extra a day - we would not have gotten it if it was available. I don't drink so it's wasted on me. However, my husband ordered a vodka martini with house vodka. The total came to nearly $13 with tip and tax. We each got an 8 ounce glass of soda with more ice than soda and it was almost $4 each. Those were the only drinks we bought onboard. They could send AA members here and they would quit drinking based on price! Then there's the tipping. Our tips were included in the price. This is really some sort of payroll tax disguised as tips. The staff claims they get none of it and everyone has their hand out for more. What really amazed me is when NCL passed out a flyer inviting us to tip more and especially to those doing a variety of services including beverage service! Where does the 18 percent automatically added to beverages go? We are committed to another NCL cruise in Europe in 2018. I am hoping somewhere in there this line gets its act together because from what I'm hearing, the rest of the fleet is neglected as well.

The Ship No One Cared About

Pride of America Cruise Review by daytonadeb412

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Large Balcony

Moving on, wear and tear could be seen everywhere - from carpets to walls.

daytonadeb412’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Aft-Facing Large Balcony
Cabin B1 8704
We loved the aft balcony. It was perfect for getting a panoramic view of each island as we left. The shower was tiny and the room was smaller than we expected, but adequate. See review for problems with the cabin.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins