3. Regal Princess
We had never cruised before but wanted to visit the Nordic countries, and when this cruise went on deep discount at the end of Wave Season, we couldn't resist. (So it ended up being excellent value for money.) We stayed a few days in Copenhagen before the cruise at the Tivoli Hotel, which was great for kids. It wasn't especially central, but our Copenhagen Card allowed us to hop on the fairly convenient buses. The Copenhagen Card also got us into all the sights we wanted to see, my favorite of which was the National Museum, and covered a canal boat tour. Embarkation went incredibly smoothly. We didn't arrive until mid-afternoon (since we were in no hurry to leave Copenhagen), and we didn't stand in any lines. Our bags arrived in our stateroom almost immediately after we did. We'd selected an interior stateroom because with such a port-intensive itinerary, we didn't intend on spending any time in it except to sleep -- and indeed, we didn't. The beds were comfortable for sleeping (the kids enjoyed their beds that folded down from the ceiling) and I appreciated how dark and quiet the room was. The storage space and bathroom were perfectly adequate. Our steward was always cheerful and helpful and very efficient, and once she realized how much the kids liked the evening chocolates, we got piles of them. I can't comment on the dining room since I wasn't able to talk my family out of dining at the buffet (except for one lunch at Alfredo's, which was very good). They loved the variety of foods, and honestly, since I'm a vegetarian, I did too. It's nice having multiple vegetarian options. They also enjoyed the changing themes, and my daughter still talks about the chocolate-themed breakfast buffet. We never had difficulty getting a table, usually one by the windows. The kids (ages 11 and 7) spent most of their onboard time at the kids clubs, which they enjoyed, although occasionally one or both would join us to watch some other entertainment in the evening -- a movie under the stars, the stage magician, etc. Not all of the entertainment was my cup of tea, but there were usually multiple activities going on, so we could always find something. I enjoyed the fitness room and jogging track, although some of the sport facilities (e.g. basketball) were always a little crowded and others didn't work especially well (outdoor ping pong on a cruise ship?). Although it was a little cool in the Baltic for me to want to swim, the kids still willingly hopped in the water and I joined them in the hot tubs (although the hot tubs were also occasionally crowded). We did not join any of the Princess shore excursions, preferring to arrange our own. St. Petersburg was the obvious highlight of the cruise, but there wasn't any port that we didn't enjoy. Oslo we especially enjoyed the Vigeland sculpture park and the Viking Ship Museum. In Warnemunde we went to Rostock and Schwerin. Tallinn was lovely but a little crowded that morning in the old town, so we spent the afternoon at the Seaplane Harbor Museum. In Helsinki, our favourite place was Seurasaari Island, and in Stockholm, the Vasa was fascinating. We self-disembarked with no problems. Although we all left reluctantly. We'd happily do this cruise again sometime.

Baltic cruise enjoyed by both parents and kids

Regal Princess Cruise Review by trosebery

Ages 10 to 12
Get Regal Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IF R522
Small but perfectly adequate for all our storage, sleeping, and showering needs. Beds were comfortable and I appreciated how dark and quiet it was. Steward was wonderful.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Copenhagen
    A beautiful royal city. The National Museum (especially the early Danish history permanent exhibition) and the canal tour were highlights. The Copenhagen Card, which included public transit -- the train from the airport and the buses, was good value for us.
    View All 1,034 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Our city tour (with George, from SPB Tours) included the usual Market Square and Rock Church et al, but the best part of the tour was the side trip to the folk museum on Seurasaari Island.
    View All 161 City Tour Reviews
  • Vigeland Sculpture Park
    The sculpture park, as a whole, is a work of art, each piece a study on the universal human condition. Our guide (Lisa, from SPB Tours) provided us with very good background information. My only regret was that we didn't have more time to just wander.
    View All 33 Vigeland Sculpture Park Reviews
  • Viking Ship Museum
    The museum is small but well worth a visit. Our guide (Lisa, from SPB Tours) gave us an interesting overview of the exhibit and allowed us adequate time to explore.
    View All 45 Viking Ship Museum Reviews
  • City Tour
    Our Highlights tour covered a lot in 2 days. Our driver Vladimir and our guide Anna were very good at steering us around the summer crowds. Everything, from the Hermitage to the Church on the Spilled Blood, was impressively opulent. The highlights, especially for my kids, were the fountains at Peterhof and the subway ride (with its reeeally long escalators).
    View All 326 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    Our tour here was okay -- we especially enjoyed the Vasa Museum -- but if we were to do it over again we probably would have skipped Gamla Stan (which was lovely but felt very much like more of the same after two weeks touring Baltic capitals) and much of the city and just wandered the island of Djurgården.
    View All 121 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    Tallinn was very crowded that day but our guide (Stina, from SPB Tours) did her best to herd our small group. (It helped that she was tall.) She gave a good overview of the history of the town; more interesting were her own stories about growing up under Soviet rule. Given the crowds, it was a relief, after lunch, to set off on our own for the Seaplane Harbor museum.
    View All 78 City Tour Reviews