3. Norwegian Gem
The 10 Day Eastern Caribbean itinerary on April 8 was fantastic. I aligned perfectly with the children's spring break. I am giving this cruise a 5 star overall rating. There was plenty to do on the ship. I typically stay in mini suites. However, I chose to upgrade to a 2 Bedroom Family Penthouse Suite. On the Gem, I didn't see any value in upgrading to The Haven. Embarkation was fantastic. We didn't have to wait in line and were escorted to a private area with yummy treats. We were then escorted on the ship to Cagney's for lunch. Staying in a suite allowed us to eat breakfast in Maderno and lunch in Cagney's. The food and service were impeccable. The room had plenty of space. The master bedroom was nice with a comfortable bed. Another perk, you can choose from a menu of pillows, firm, medium, soft. The bathroom was spacious with floor to ceiling glass in the shower. There was a living room and small dining room. The children's bedroom had a pullman that sleeps one and a lower pull out couch bed which can sleep 2 eleven year olds. This level of cabin came with a concierge and butler service. They took great care of us. We had a dining package and ate in Cagney's, Moderno, La Bistro, and Teppanyaki. My personal favorite was Teppanyki. Each were unique and special. No bad meal in any of them. I also ate in the Grand Pacific and Magenta. Only issue was one night the food was a little salty. I did eat at the sushi bar. As an avid sushi eater, I found the rolls really good. I was amazed by the lack of people eating there. If you sail on the Gem and like sushi, eat at the bar. You won't be disappointed! There are plenty of activities. I had mixed emotions on the entertainment in the Stardust Theater. The comedy show was hilarious!!! I can't recommend enough. The magic show was rather weak, card tricks, slight of hand. In my opinion, rather bush league. We walked out of the Second City act. Nothing funny and just excruciating, had to leave. The service around the ship was spot on. I have been on numerous excursions. We decided to take the Champagne and Snorkel sail to St. John. 10 Stars for this. The boat was immaculate! The sail was phenomenal! The beach and snorkel on St. John were pristine. What made the excursion was the crew. The service and enthusiasm of the crew couldn't have been any better. Go on this excursion! The children had a ball. I thought kids camp would be leverage for good behavior. That went out the window. They wanted to go all day lol! So much for them to do I could write a novel.

Family Spring Break, Fun in the Sun

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Plankman

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Penthouse with Balcony

The service around the ship was spot on.

Plankman’s Full Rating Summary