3. Crystal Serenity
We'd been to most of the places this itinerary went, before and several were not even worth getting off the ship, so the ship was the main reason to go on this cruise. We just wanted to relax. Crystal Serenity did not disappoint! We arrived in Barbados and jumped in a cab for the 20 minute ride to the pier. The Pier in Barbados is a crowded area and after a few moments we figured out where to go. Luggage was collected from us to be delivered to our cabin and we were shuttled to the actual ship. Upon arrival onboard, we checked in ( took like 5 mins--so fast) and were told ( even though it was only 1PM) that the cabins were available. So we went to our suite. WOW, is all I can say. What a way to spend 10 days. The Deluxe Penthouse was awash with light from not only the sliding door to the oversized balcony, but the window in the bedroom area as well. Huge Tub and a separate shower was a nice feature. Walk in closet and the entire thing was immaculately maintained by Themyo, our stewardess, who was AMAZING! Our Butler, Richard, always seemed rushed. At one point I asked how many suites he managed and he said 14 in total. Compared to our cruise on Silversea where the butler did all kinds of things for us without being asked ( noticed we needed shoes shined- Made a bookmark as I was using a boarding pass as a bookmark). We really didn't ask much of him other than one night we had a few friends we'd met aboard over and he brought some extra snacks and some Champagne. Most of our interactions were signing for things Wine/Strawberries sent to us. . We never had a meal in the suite nor sent out any laundry. We were pretty low maintenance. However, he was always in a hurry so I guess others were more demanding of his services. I'd suggest Crystal consider a few more butlers per deck, if this indeed is the norm. We ate all of the breakfast and Lunch meals at the beautifully renovated Lido dining area. It was spectacular. We found the food to be hot, fresh and just fabulous. Breakfast was overwhelming, all the choices. Lunch too! The Bugers in the Trident Grill were amazing and despite the complimentary Ben and Jerry's I only gained a pound on the cruise. Dinner in the main dining room was ok, not great but ok. We found the best meal on the ship to be Prego, their Italian restaurant followed closely by Silk Road. The service in all venues including the main dining room was spectacular but we just found the food in the MDR to be a bit off. Tough steaks ( Improve the quality of beef) and somewhat bland flavors led to a few disappointments. However, we never left hungry, that's for sure! Portion sizes were perfect. We also tried Tastes and that was pretty good too. I'd give that a 7 out of 10. Shows were pretty good and quite varied but found the production shows to be a bit hokey. While very talented folks were in them, I think they could have better material to work with as the voices and dancing were just amazing. Seemed geared to a really old crowd. Speaking of which, I found that this was not nearly as old as I thought it would be. Since this was the last 10 days of the world cruise we thought it would be full of 85 plus year olds, but on the contrary I'd say the average age was 50 something with a smattering of young couples who looked to be on a honeymoon. Everyone seemed to really be enjoying themselves and meeting new friends daily. I'll not go into the ports suffice to say the ship was the reason we came and probably is the reason we will come back to Crystal. It was just lovely!

Taking the trip just for the ship!

Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by jwsfun

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite with Verandah

jwsfun’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crystal Serenity price drops

Penthouse Suite with Verandah
Cabin PS 11045
Holy Moly- this is like an apartment. while there were a few blemishes ( Chairs need recovering and some small marks on the gorgeous wall paper - overall a stunning suite. Lots of room to relax.
Penthouse Deck Suite Cabins