3. Grandeur of the Seas
We chose the cruise for the convenience of going out of Baltimore, a 9 night tour and Charleston. (And we thought we would get an upgraded experience over Carnival.) Our dining staff-- Dexter and Parwan were EXCELLENT. I actually set out a special tip ($60) for them to bring the last night (complete in an envelope with their names) only to have it TAKEN by the room steward!!! I told the dining staff what happened and they seemed to indicate that it happened all of the time?!!? I also reported it to Guest Services who was very blase but said it would be fixed-- it was NOT by the time I had to disembark. Nobody from Royal Caribbean has followed up. Very sad. The food in the Great Gatsby was OK. A lot of kind of odd choices that did not sound particularly appealing and a few that fell short of the mark. The highlight was that on certain nights there was an up-charge to get filet mignon. Oh! And the gnocchi, tortellini and Cesar salad were very yummy! The food in the Windjammer really needs some help-- particularly in keeping warm things warm and a bit more variety. The salad ingredients always appeared fresh and tasted good. Fruit was also particularly good. The maitre d' refused to accept that My Time Dining meant on the cruiser's schedule.... not hers and she pretty much forced everyone into choosing one time slot and going in that slot every day or face her wrath-- and then she would also make you wait (and wait and wait... and then check back..... to see if she decided to allow you a seat)! The bartender at the pool bar was surly-- at best-- at least to females. He seemed to work harder for guys. My teens were not enthralled with the "teen club" that apparently bumped a lot of tweens up to teens.... and made it not a fun "teen" experience. The rooms were fine. The public areas were well-designed. The entertainment was OK. (ReVOICED was the stand-out-- very fun!!)

Blah! I wish we had stuck with Carnival!

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by jhousey