3. Britannia
Looking for a holiday during the school holidays we noted 3 P&O cruises leaving the same day and chose the Atlantic Islands cruise because we preferred the itinerary. The best other option was themed a Strictly Come Dancing cruise which did not appeal very much. Embarkation. Our checkin time was 3:30. We drove to Southampton and got there at 2:45 where we were stacked waiting for porters and someone to drive our car away. As a result of that wait we entered the terminal almost exactly on time. We then had to wait about 45 mins before being called to the check-in desks. From then on it was quite efficient and we got through security, onboard and to our cabin by 4:45. Our luggage had already been delivered and placed in the cabin. Cabin Liked it. Check out the separate cabin review. Public Areas Plenty of bars and other public areas which were never very crowded despite the ship being full. Brodie's and the Crows Nest were our usual haunts. We went to the Atrium a few times but it felt more like a shopping centre than the feature point of a ship. Not very impressive. Prices were reasonable - similar to UK prices. Entertainment There was a lot of evening entertainment, mostly very good. There was generally something going on in both the theatre and the live lounge. The theatre though is too small and even with 3 shows some nights not everybody could get the chance to see some. There were plenty of other activities as well. As a quiz lover I often went to 2 a day but I think there were at least 4. I liked the entertainment staff as well. Dining. Oh dear. It was going so well. If you are looking for a ship with great food then you can stop reading now and start researching another ship. This is not for you. Main restaurant menus are unimaginative, food bland and not particularly well cooked. It was very disappointing. Buffet I thought was a bit better but maybe that's because expectations were lower. At least it was not too difficult to find a table most time that we went in. We went to the Limelight club one night. Food was better in there but of course you have to pay for it. If there is an act playing that you think you might like then it's reasonable value. Sindhu was excellent. Very high quality and quite different from your average high street Indian restaurants. Worth the money. Ports. I enjoyed all the ports and the 4 Atlantic islands we went to were quite different in character. We went on 3 ship's excursions which were quite good and I thought reasonable value. Disembarkation We had a time of 8:45 but went to the meeting point about 20mins early. We were called to disembark about 8:40 and within 30 mins had gone ashore, found our bags, reclaimed our car and were on our way. Overall It was good but it was badly let down by the food. We would go again but P&O certainly did not do enough to convert us.

Mostly good but oh dear - the food

Britannia Cruise Review by Grahaml

Embarkation.

Liked it. Check out the separate cabin review.

Public Areas

Dining.

Ports.

Disembarkation

Overall

Grahaml’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Britannia price drops

Cabin A107
Note that A107 (and A108 on the port side) are different from any other cabins the on the ship although there are several others class DC.

Firstly cabin size. It may be a little larger than regular mini-suites but if so any extra space would not be noticeable but it is a different shape. You enter down a corridor past the bathroom. The room then opens up to a sitting area with desk. The sofa looks to the side and out of the sliding patio door onto the balcony. Forward of this is the bedroom which comfortably fits the room with a triple wardrobe and a single cupboard with drawers and safe. There is a large forward facing window here. There is no curtain to divide the two parts of the cabin as I saw in videos of other mini-suites and note to get to the bathroom in the night you have to negotiate your way through the sitting area to get there. The bed is very comfortable. The sofa (which is a sofa bed) is not.

The big selling point for this cabin though is the balcony. And when I say big I mean BIG. It extends all the way out over the bridge wings and round the front of the cabin. I estimate it is at least 450 sq. ft. There were 3 loungers and 2 reclining chairs with side tables. It could easily accommodate 20 loungers! As noted on the deck plan it is steel fronted so that if you sit down you cannot see the sea. This never bothered me.

When the ship is underway it depends upon the wind direction how practical it is to go out on it. (Note it is never restricted). We had six sea days, four of which were into the wind and two with a tail wind. With a light tail wind it is very enjoyable. Into the wind you cannot realistically sit out. It is best for sitting outside on in port where you can move around to catch the sun. Note that the section on the bridge wings is overlooked by other A deck cabins and from the Crows Nest bar. The section to the front of the cabin is completely private, both from the side and above.

Would I recommend it? Well for a relatively small premium over balcony cabins you get a lot more and you can feel a bit special knowing that there are only 2 cabins like it on the entire ship. Being high and right at the bow does mean that ship movement is a bit exaggerated but if you can cope with that then I would say yes - go for it.