3. Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth offers beautiful surroundings, great cruise destinations, good value, an outstanding lecture component, stunning public spaces and a feeling of elegance and comfort throughout, but in my opinion fails when it comes to hospitality. We joined for the Sydney to Kobe component of the World Cruise. We were a party of 7 friends with 5 staterooms. Our balcony stateroom was quite spacious and very comfortable, however the bathroom and in particular the shower was small (especially for a 1.86m male). We choose the late dining option for the dining room which suited all. Our Britannia waiters and Head Waiter, Vitali were the only crew members that actually displayed true customer service. Food was excellent. The Lido restaurant was a totally different experience with crew attitude bordering on rude if not indifferent. I noted on many occasions older guests struggling with plates etc, with no assistance offered on any occasion by passing staff. We are aware that specialty restaurants fill very quickly, so on embarkation we requested a special occasion dinner reservation for 8.30 pm for 7 guests in the Veranda Grill for one week later. We were informed that they could ONLY accommodate our party at 7.30 pm which we agreed to. On the birthday night we arrived at 7.30 pm to find that our table of 7 was one of four tables in the restaurant for the entire evening. Food was mediocre at best, dinner rushed and the restaurant lacked atmosphere. We did make the restaurant aware that we were unhappy being railroaded into early dining and the unsatisfactory food. They duly refunded the food component 4 days later which we were happy with. I'll finish by saying that I really wanted to love Queen Elizabeth, but unfortunately she did not live up to expectations. In over 20 years of cruising this is the first review that I have logged which makes me think that I should have reviewed some of the outstanding experiences that I've had on Azamara, Holland America, Regent Seven Seas, Celebrity and also Royal Carribbean Cruises. Cunard you spend millions of dollars on advertising to attract guests, try beginning the experience with a welcome and smile and the rest will follow.

Everything but a welcome and smile!

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Martin Doyle