I chose to do a transatlantic cruise on the Riviera because it has a Resident Artist. The program surpassed my expectations. Noel Suarez is a masterful artist and teacher . Being in the art class was a major investment of time but worth it for me. Noel started at the beginning, drawing and after many lessons, the final product of everyone in the class was terrific. I had wanted to be inspired to start painting again and I am. Oceania's Riviera and Marina have the Resident Artist program. The program has no charge which is really nice. For a cruise with many sea days, this was a wonderful way to spend the time. If you do book a cruise with a RA ask their name and check out their work. If they are on Facebook you can even contact them and learn what they are planning for the cruise. Another plus was that the studio was open when there was no class so you can use it to do your own art. As I said the class is a major investment in time. So I did not get to hear the lectures in person, go to other things. I do not play Bridge and that was a big feature on this cruise . Also I do not go to evening entertainment. Heard mostly so so comments. Only made it to tea once. I loved the food but only gained 1 pound. Mostly ate in the Terrace unless there was something I really wanted in the Grand Dining room. The Terrace had grilled lobster tails and jumbo shrimp. I could have lived on that. Only negative was that I thought ice cream was in fact ice cream and not the gelato I remember from former cruise. Traveling alone I liked the share tables which they have even in the specialty restaurants. But eating in the Terrace means you eat alone unless you have made some friends, Like on all ships, costs in spa are high. I took a chance on acupuncture as I heard Dr.Wi was very good. Well I wasted a lot of $. Should have spent it on massages. Did not use fitness center . Re: shore excursions : I only did 2 of ship ones and they were ok, nothing special. Problem is guides don't all have hearing devices. Oceania should require that. I won't go on any more that don't use it unless I have a private guide. Did have one for Morocco and it was worth it to have someone tuned in to my needs for assistance walking, especially through the medina. Went to the same places generally including the synagogue which I don't think ship tours do. Should mention that the computer system is as good as possible considering where we were. The staff person very helpful getting you set up and trouble shooting. Quite patient too. Next to the library, very conveniently is the Barista for those who like real coffee. I have booked a Cruise on the Insignia next year to be in an art class again with Noel Suarez.

Art class at sea

gbucky’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Riviera price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin B4 706
Traveling alone, cabin was just fine. Just several doors from elevator was handy. Rarely heard sounds from hall or neighbors.
I found I could get out of the tub which on some ships I can't use because they are too difficult. So I could soak in the tub and then step into the separate shower. Had large size shampoo, etc. instead of those little samples. Room housekeepers very nice.
Deck 7 Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins