3. Majestic Princess
We are big fans of the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity format, but last year we sailed on the Emerald Princess because the price was reasonable and we hadn't done the itinerary before. We rather enjoyed the Emerald, particularly the happy hours, so when we found out the Majestic was being launched in April, we loved the idea of sailing on the 5 day maiden voyage. Our cruise travel agent packaged a couple of days in Rome before sailing so we explored Rome first. We were picked up promptly by our taxi driver on Tuesday morning, and it took 90 minutes to get from the centre of Rome to the port. Embarkation went smoothly, and we were in the Marketplace buffet for noon. First impression: the Majestic is not as "boutique-y" as the Britannia, nor as "glitzy" as some of the RCI ships. I think they've got the balance just right. it is destined for the Chinese market, and every sign you see is in English first, translated into Chinese. On this sailing, there were over 900 guests from the UK, apx 400 from the US, apx 400 from China, and apx 300 from Italy, or so the cruise director, Dan, said. Dining: we didn't book a speciality restaurant as this was a short sailing. Anyway, we didn't really need to because the food in the dining restaurant was excellent. We opted for any time dining and always got a seat without a wait. Perhaps it was because the ship wasn't full. The waiter's paid plenty of attention to detail, and we never felt rushed. Likewise, the Marketplace buffet food was excellent, well laid out, with a separate area for desserts. I really couldn't fault the quality of the food, neither could my husband. We also tried Alfredo's, a pizzeria, and again, absolutely tip top quality. Entertainment: Tuesday: the Princess entertainer's performed a couple of songs, and then an American comedian called Troy Thirdgill took the stage. I thought he was hilarious, but I heard a lot of silence around me. I suspect the Chinese and Italian didn't get his humour, but I thought he was great. Wednesday: a group called the Unexpected Boys performed in a nod to Jersey Boys. They sang Franki Valli songs, and kept the crowd entertained. I thought they were very good. They're a little before my time, but I remember them. Thursday: the Princess entertainer's performed a show called "Fiera". Absolutely fantastic. Great choreography, great songs, lots of bright colour. Ticked all my boxes. Friday: the Beatlemaniacs performed. They were very good, and the audience enjoyed them. For me, though, I've seen various versions of the Beatles on several ships now, and I'd like to see another tribute act. Maybe Queen, Elton John, or Abba. Saturday: I never enjoy the last night because the theatres are usually half full. in this case, the entertainment was a comedian from Liverpool called John Martin. We've seen him before, on the Anthem, I think. He's good, but tbh, he had a hard job warming everybody up. Service: Excellent, everywhere. Apart from nobody could manage to fix the aircon unit in our room. Ports and shore excursions: We rarely pay the ship prices for excursions, we used to until we realised we could do them cheaper ourselves once we reached the port. We visited Kotor which was a sleepy mountain-type of town with really not a lot going for it other than the scenery, and Corfu, which again, I would say has seen better days. I will just say though, that the Majestic were charging $16 return per person, to get a bus from the Corfu terminal to the town centre. We decided this was a rip off, so it seemed, did a lot of other people. Instead, we got the free shuttle bus to the terminal, then got on a hop on hop off bus for 16 euros. Much better value, and we got to see more of Corfu. Would I go again: The destinations were secondary to the ship. We chose this sailing because it was the maiden voyage and we liked the idea of being the first people to sleep in the beds. We like the ship but prefer the RCI format better. We may travel with Princess again if the price is right, but we'll probably stick with Royal Caribbean (and are looking forward to being on the Indie again in July). The cruise director's on RCI get more involved as well. Regarding the ratings, they were marked down on the cabin, purely because of the aircon problem, other than that it was clean, new and perfect. They were marked down on service, only because my husband had to ask a couple of times for water. In the general scheme of things, it isn't much but it counts. We didn't pay for their shore excursions, because they were overpriced. VFM - they were marked down here because of the rip off price for the bus to Corfu. We didn't visit the gym, or do any enrichment activities but they looked good so I marked them as excellent.

Maiden voyage

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by Finchyy

PrincessCruises3, Social Team, Princess Cruises has responded
Hi Finchyy, we're so happy that you enjoyed your time onboard our newest ship! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your husband back again.
Finchyy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Majestic Princess price drops

Cabin D523
We were on deck 9, in a balcony cabin. The cabin itself was fine - we were the first guests to stay in it - but from day 1 we noticed a problem with the air con unit on the ceiling. Quite simply, it blew out cold air from the moment we stepped into the room until the moment we left the ship. As we sailed in April, the weather was temperamental and the chilly air was noticeable, particularly at night. We reported it twice to Guest Services, and 3 times to Rodgi our steward. Unfortunately nobody was able to fix it so my husband tucked a towel over it to stop the cold air from blowing.
  Majestic Princess Deck Plans