3. Adventure of the Seas
We are a couple, 55-66 and we chose this cruise last minute for the itinerary and it did not disappoint. AOS is a lovely ship and we were pleased with our balcony cabin although there was quite a lot more movement felt than on our previous cruise, partly due to high winds around the ABC islands, but it was noticeably stronger even in leaving San Juan. Pleasantly surprised with the water pressure in the shower, although pretty weak in the sink (things important to me). I particularly enjoyed the solarium area (adults only) as it was very large although it did stay pretty crowded, I always eventually found a chair. We only went to the main dining room once. While it was lovely and we did end up with very nice people at our table, but with so many ports and late night departures, it was just easier to go to the Windjammer. Entertainment was OK with the highlights being Headliner Finis Henderson and the guitar player in the Schooner Bar (amazing). We had a balcony cabin, port side near the back and I actually like the more enclosed type balcony. It was more private and blocked most of the wind gusts which were over 30 mph for much of the trip, allowing me to dry clothes (but used the large towel clips just in case. It took about an hour to board and I received my luggage very quickly. Not so for the husband! He didn't receive his until after muster, when he received the notice that his had gone to the naughty room! He takes scissors with him and this pair happened to be those long barber shears, but then they also questioned his hair dryer for some reason. Had no idea about scissors as they always make it through TSA, but apparently you cannot take power strips either as noticed by the huge pile as we were disembarking. I enjoyed trying the rock wall, flowrider and water slides (even in my advanced 55 years ;-0) as well as the very nice gym....which I should have used MORE! While cruising is still not my preferred way to travel, it is very efficient for getting a taste of many destinations to decide if you would like to go for a longer period of time.

Second cruise, first with RCCL

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by sciencenut

sciencenut’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Nice cabin, in pretty good shape. Like the shower doors, although they would still leak until we learned to always aim handheld shower to back. GREAT water pressure in shower! Poor pressure in sink. No toilet odors as long as you keep the lid closed when not in use. A LOT of movement felt. Pretty uncomfortable couch, but balcony chairs were comfortable. Bed didn't seem as hard as some describe. Quite a bit of storage!
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Aruba
    Total screw up here. We took a taxi out to Palm Beach and let ourselves get sucked into a Timeshare visit at Divi Resort almost immediately. Promised Trip vouchers (we will see how THAT goes), food drink, merchandise, and then we could use the beach for our 1.5 hour sales pitch. After walking down to the resort (almost 15 to 20 minutes), we get started and find out we were NOT supposed to use the beach, but our salesperson ended up getting it approved with loungers, palapa, 2 free drinks and towels. Sales pitch seemed to last forever (very LOUD in the room) but it finally ended and we got to the beach which was very nice with a lot of palapas and loungers. While the beach looked nice, there was quite a lot of coral and sharp objects in the water which you could not see. Winds were once again over 30 mph, which made the beach unpleasant. While we also got a bag and t-shirts, the BEST thing was a $100 voucher for dinner where we chose the Driftwood, back near port. A little hard to find, but the best food on the trip!! I guess it ended up ok, but made for some intense hours.
    View All 1,672 Aruba Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Aruba Cruise Port Review
  • Barbados
    Thought we would walk around town and see sites. It was Sunday and most everything was closed. took the $2 shuttle and was dropped off on a main street. CONSTANTLY bombarded by taxi drivers everywhere we walked. Eventually walked back to ship. Quite hot and ended up taking a taxi to Secret Harbor (near the Boatyard, but seemed more adult oriented). YES, we should have kept walking as we were almost to beach area, but apparently let the sun fry our brains. Ended up being a pretty nice day. Probably the clearest water and best sand (doesn't get too hot) of the trip!
    View All 1,550 Barbados Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barbados Cruise Port Review
  • Curacao
    Walked around the city, which is beautiful. Lovely area right off the boat with tons of shops and restaurants inside the RIF Fort! Beautiful. Went across the pontoon bridge and went to the other fort with amazing views and bars and restaurants built into fort. Went back to the ship, cleaned up and went back out after dark to see the lights and the bridge (which moved while we were there, very interesting), but apparently the shops shut down at 6PM....we didn't leave until 10. Beautiful city, but should have taken an island tour also.
    View All 1,272 Curacao Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Curacao Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan
    Taxi to Magan's Bay, more expensive than I remembered. $10 pp each way, plus entry to Magan's. $15 minimum to put anything on a credit card, but you can start a tab at the bar.
    View All 3,852 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    Excellent Taxi driver (Little Joe) took us to Nelson's Boatyard (extra admission fee), Shirley Heights and then to the Dickenson Bay for $80 total. Not too impressed with Dickenson Bay and had them call the driver to take us back sooner. Water was a beautiful color but very milky with a lot of seaweed on the seafloor which was unnerving as you could feel it but could not see it.
    View All 13 Island Tour Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Had seen positive review for Papa on TA and looked for him as we got off the ship. $60 pp and was able to pay with credit card. Left at 10:45 in 3 boats. Powerboats to Anse Chastenet (next to the Pitons) for snorkeling for a few hours. OK snorkeling if you have never been to St. John. Black sand beaches with lunch available for purchase ($15, we did not buy, but others really liked it) Resort has a restaurant and bar but we also did not use. There was some shade on the side of the beach, but not allowed to use chairs or palapas. Cruised back up the coast with a stop at Marigot Bay which was on my list of things to see. Very nice, but do not see how it is "one of the prettiest bays in the world". Enjoyed the visit and had killer drinks at the little bar with the tripadviser sign (sorry do not remember the name).
    View All 54 Snorkeling Reviews