Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review
2,389 Reviews

Loved this Mexican Riviera Cruise!

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Tiki Roost

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony

Good deal for the cruise and an opportunity to try Norwegian!

Embarkation was fine - we arrived at the appointed time at the port - while it was early and we waited quite awhile to be let into the terminal, once we were checked in, we had to wait about an hour to go on board, but we were among the first 20 or so onto the ship!

Our cabin was fine, enough counter space, just enough. Certainly enough storage space and closet area! We loved the bathroom -- a door on the shower is so much better than a shower curtain! Our balcony was great - we had an Aft Balcony so we could watch the back of the ship as it sailed along, very neat! The safe was very hard to use, though, it was a code-type, but I just couldn't get it locked, it became my husband's job. I prefer safes that use credit cards.

The dining was superb! When we boarded the ship, we went to the Tsar's Palace, what a delight! Delicious lunch! Unfortunately, we didn't ask when we saw the same menu on Monday, had we asked we would have found that Monday through Saturday were different!

We liked the Trivia and watching some of the pool activities. We loved the local Mariachi Band and the Mexican Folklorio Show in the first port, Puerto Vallarta! Free entertainment that was excellent!

Service was excellent, no complaints.

We did not book any excursions, as this was my third time down there, my husband's second. But we did go off the boat and shopped at the terminal shop in Mazatlan, bought Vanilla from a street booth in Puerto Vallarta, and did a lot of walking in Cabo. We could not get over the change in this port town after 7 years! What a delight it was! It made me want to go back, for sure! Loved Cabo!

We are retired and didn't do any of the evening shows. We would have an after dinner drink and go back to our rooms after a long day, we do rise with the sun!

On the ship, I did notice that many of the public restrooms were not maintained on a regular basis. They were quite messy.

As to disembarkation, we thought it would be staggered using the color system, but by the time they got to Purple, a staff member came to us and said our luggage was all in the terminal and we could all go. That caused horrendous lines in the terminal, about 30 minutes in very long lines to get through customs. That could have been better organized. We recently came into San Pedro and were through the port in 10 minutes. In fact, there was a 20 minute span between getting off the ship, going through customs, and getting our car! Coming into ports from other locations have been the same, we've taken about a dozen cruises now and have never experienced such a delay inside the terminal for customs. Once done with that, it was easy to find our luggage, thankfully.

We would go on this Mexican Riviera trip again since it is within driving distance of home, about 6 hours away, Cabo was a delight!

Tiki Roost's Full Rating Summary

Aft-Facing Balcony
Cabin B1 10168

Aft Balcony, nice room and the bed was fine. We were able to cool the room ourselves. We loved the coffee in our room and the bathroom was great -- a sliding door on the shower makes it so much better!

The safe is not fun to use, the buttons don't respond well.

Puerto Vallarta

We visited the street vendors at the pier and walked over to the Mall, since we decided not to take a cab downtown. Most everything was closed at the Mall, stores don't open there until 11 or 11:30, so this should be noted, since you can get off the ship pretty early!

Cabo San Lucas

The last trip here was not good - the town was very dirty due to extensive construction going on. I had no desire to get off the ship in this port until I saw it from another deck, that's when we decided to take the tender over. What a difference 7 years makes! A delightful walking town -- lots of hawkers, though, wanted to take you on a boat cruise, a glass bottom boat, then wanted to sell you cigars and cookies. If you can ignore this, it's a fine port. Lots of beautiful yachts in the harbor to look at. Cabo Wabo was very fun, a veritable party at 10 in the morning! We also bought some lovely handpainted bowls here and a fun SF 49er hanging for our other son.

Mazatlan

There were a number of stores inside the port terminal that were fun to shop at. I bought an absolutely lovely opal and amethyst bracelet for a very reasonable price - the jeweler also polished the silver jewelry I was wearing - I'd bought it on our last trip to Mazatlan. I also bought a T shirt for my son and a hanging Toucan for our deck in this port.

Tiki Roost