3. Regal Princess
Just got back from the Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Regal Princess from 3/26-4/2 with my wife and 8-year-old daughter and have to say it was pretty miserable. This ship has cut corners in pretty laughable ways. The mini-suite we stayed in (Deck 15) was TINY. The balcony is hysterically small and the deck chairs/table/foot rest take up virtually all the floor space, so there is no room to stand out there. My daughter was disappointed there was no bunk bed. The sofa bed is small and uncomfortable. This room literally sleeps 3 people AT BEST. More like 2 1/2. There were no sodas for purchase in the fridge throughout the voyage and our steward was very poor at replenishing the water bottles. Outlets are always an issue. No outlets or USB ports next to the beds, so you MUST bring a power strip and walk across the room to the desk if you need to check your phone or set an alarm on your phone. (there are no clocks or alarms in the room.) Food and service was epically bad. We have sailed on the Caribbean Princess twice and the buffet was 100x better than this slop. We were expecting more from a newer ship. Very poor selection at the buffet, and I swear they just put the same crap out day in, day out. Dining room was marginal at best. I honestly would have preferred to order from the kids menu because our daughter's food tasted better than ours. The fettucine alfredo was absolutely disgusting and tasted like it was from a package. Entertainment was so bad. There was nothing family-oriented in any way other than the Movies Under the Stars. Everything else was catered toward the old farts making up 70% of the population on this cruise. Seminars hawking jewelry, jazz piano in the lounge, blackjack tournaments, Zumba lessons, line dancing, all boring as all get out. Yes, there is the "kids club" program but I wanted to spend a vacation as a family, not just drop off my daughter for the day and go drink with the old drunks at the piano bar all day. Also noticed that the old people on this cruise were very hostile to kids. One old jerk screamed "SHUT UP!!!" at kids playing in the pool while he sat in the shade with his Mai Tai and oxygen tank. The elevator situation was a disaster. There are no stairs at mid ship so you are forced to walk all the way to the end of the ship to use the stairs or wait FOREVER to finally catch an elevator. And when you do finally get in, they stop at every. single. floor. And the buttons on only one side of the elevator is a stupid, stupid oversight by the engineers. I have also noticed in general on Princess cruises that the level of service drops considerably throughout the week, especially at the buffets. You pretty much have to get your silverware and drinks yourself by the third day, and don't even think about someone willingly clearing your table. Most of the servers on this cruise spoke poor English and were fairly rude Eastern European types. The Princess Live! venue is a disastrous mess. The seats are unbelievably uncomfortable and the audio/visual situation was horrific every time we went there (we went to a bunch of trivia nights as this was one of the few things we could do as a family). We much preferred Club Fusion on the Caribbean Princess. The pools are tiny and the fountains are a waste of space. Too many people, not enough chairs or towels. Although this is probably pretty common on all cruises. This cruise seemed to have way too many people though. Take out the fountain and add at least two more pools. And please stop blaring Movies Under the Stars at full blast all day long. Not relaxing. Highly annoying. Would be nice to just show movies at night, you know, "under the stars". Shore excursions. I have more luck just finding a taxi on my own and going to my own beach. Princess excursions are overpriced and it seems like they set you up to get accosted by locals trying to sell you crap. I enjoyed the Amber Cove excursion, although Princess told us at the very last minute that the roads to the beach in the DR had been damaged and we would have to take a cattle car through the back roads of third-world life for 60 minutes each way. No way to get a refund by the time we found out. Had much more luck getting a cab and ferry on my own and going to St John the next day, which was the best day of the cruise. Antigua was a nightmare. People hawking hair braids and assorted crap the ENTIRE TIME while we were trying to relax. Would not ever, ever go back to this island, or ever buy a "beach break" excursion from Princess again. They are too rushed and at this port, they made us stand in the direct sunlight for 45 minutes while the idiot tour guides ran around like chickens trying to track down the bus drivers. Also got accosted to buy trinkets on the walk through town. Bad, bad, bad. Overall, highly disappointed in this experience and this supposed "newer" ship. Would have rather gone on Caribbean Princess again, honestly. Princess is becoming cheap, rude, and non-family friendly at a rapid rate. Will not sail with them again, I don't think. Probably will go the Disney or Royal Caribbean route next time.

Princess going downhill fast! Not impressed with Regal Princess

Ages 7 to 9
Get Regal Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M6 M514
Terrible room. Directly under the pool/buffet deck so you get to hear chairs scraping and feet pounding all day and all night. It never stops. Tiny balcony. No bunk bed for kids. Uncomfortable sofa bed. Paper thin walls. Get ready to hear sex noises from next door when your kids are trying to sleep.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins