3. Adventure of the Seas
Royal Caribbean really dropped the ball this time. I have been a loyal Royal cruiser since I was in high school with my parents and when my boyfriend and I started cruising together for vacations we of coarse we went Royal, even got the CC. We have traveled on the Adventure Of The Seas before (the two latest we were on) and had a lovely time with no issues. My boyfriend and I booked a room on the boat with his points and before embarkation had a wonderful 4 days in San Juan. When we boarded the boat we went to our room and noticed that it was ready, fabulous. Our room was a tad larger which was one reason we chose it, also the only other option we had when we booked was a room by the elevator and I'm a light sleeper WHO CAN'T FALL ASLEEP AGAIN ONCE AWAKE. We also noticed that people could totally look into our room and were since they were waving (might have been a good idea to put some kind of privacy film on the windows) and our bed was really hard but my boyfriend is not a complainer and frowns upon it. He and I walked around the boat and around 8pm we took off down the water slides. There were enjoyable at first when you go down but the pitch at the bottom flipped me upside down several times and bruised my tail bone. I was recently in a car accident and it did NO favors for my back, the water slide at the bottom launches you and needs to be readjusted in my opinion. For the first 3 nights on the boat I was horribly ill, those nights correspond with the nights I ate at the windjammer( I even bought over priced oil to help with what might have been sea sickness which did not work). My boyfriend and I were determined to find out how to get to the lower deck below our room window and we figured out that if we went to the 4th deck, out the doors and up some stairs you would reach that front area. My boyfriend and I noticed that there was a punching bag underneath our room and what seemed to be a workout area that was behind a gate that said crew only. We saw a treadmill, punching bag and some big storage containers etc. That night we heard a horrible noise that echoed through our room it started aprox 3am and we were trying to rest for our excursions the next day. At first we thought it was someone drunk in a room below us messing with their closet RIGHT UNDER OUR BED. We put up with the noise for around 15-20 mins and then I got up out of bed, went to the window area and stomped HARD ( so hard it hurt the heel of my right foot) but the noise continued for another 20 mins or so and then stopped. I stayed awake the rest of the night and was exhausted at St Kitts, unable to enjoy my time at the port or the boat. One quiet evening went by (only woke up about 3 times but was able to rest again after 10 mins awake). We visited Aruba and then that night once again we heard that horrible noise around the same 3am time frame. I at this point knowing there was no room below ours figured out that it was the punching bag. I got up after about 10 mins and again stomped HARD on the floor and about 5 mins later the noise stopped, again another night I did not rest. My boyfriend and I attempted to enjoy Curacoa (exhausted from lack of sleep) and when we returned to the boat to rest that HORRIBLE load noise was happening. I stormed down to the 4th floor, up the steps and looked through the crew only gate to see a tall big man in a black shirt with boxing gloves on wailing on the punching bag. I ran back up to the room to tell my boyfriend what I saw and we called Customer service to request them to take the punching bag down tonight before we went to sleep so no one would use it and the gal said in very broken English that they would take care of it. My boyfriend and I went on our way in port and returned that evening. He and I went and looked at the crew area and the bag was still hanging there by the metal thing attached to the bottom of the room. We then called guest services again and this time the floor attendant person brought our room attendant with her and told us that they were there to remove the punching bag under our bed. My boyfriend and I informed them that the bag was not under our bed but bolted to the floor of our room and when the metal grind-ed against each other it echoed in our room and was horrendous. The lady told us they would not take it down and to call guest services if we heard the noise so security could stop whoever was touching it. We told them this was unacceptable because by the time someone went and used it we would be awake and not able to sleep. They left and after a bit we got a call and a letter that said they would give us 15% of our cruises value blah blah blah. They said there was nothing they could do and to talk to Royal when we got home. We went to dinner then to bed and at 4am on a sea day I heard what sounded like a sledge hammer on the side of the room in addition to the constant squeaking of the punching bag as it swayed with the boat. I heard this banging over and over again and could not sleep. When it became light enough outside and I finally was so upset I threw my clothes on and went down to the crew area to see what was making that loud noise. I went through the gate and and sat down. I saw a storage container door that wasn't secured bang open, the swing and screech of the punching bag, a door that was open that was banging shut but not the cause of the crazy bag, just the constant noises that keep me awake but not the one that woke me up. Eventually two staff dressed in blue came through the gate and it SLAMMED closed. They smiled at me when they walked by and when they left the sledge hammer door slam happened again, now that was the cause of the noise. I went immediately to guest services and complained again about the noise and told them there was now another issue. The lady told me they would not take the bag down and that instead she could move us to another room. I was extremely upset and went back to the room to ask my boyfriend what to do. We went to breakfast, hung out around the boat (more like zombie walked as I was now more exhausted then ever and COULDN'T ENJOY THE LAST DAY ON THE BOAT). We went down to guest services to request a copy of our complaint as we were told to take it to corporate and they wouldn't give us a copy and pretended everything was ok to which we responded no and we were still upset. At some point in the afternoon, around 4pm we were in our room and again the slamming of the door, squeaking punching bag and slamming of storage container I wanted to rip my hair out.Guest services called and asked if we wanted to move rooms but what was the point of spending our last evening packing to move rooms for one night and what kind of room and where would it be, stress stress stress. My boyfriend and I called them back after talking about it/listening to the door slam and went to see the room, then spent 2.5-3 hrs packing and organizing and then just as the sun went down got to our room. The key machine went down and we had to share one key, then during dinner I had to get the key which my boyfriend was told would be waiting at guest services but wasn't so I missed about 15 minuets of my dinner time to get the key situation worked out. Our new room attendant was not happy since no one told him. He and I slept decently that night and when I woke up I had a lovely stress rash from either something in the room or the MASS AMOUNT OF STRESS AND LACK OF SLEEP FROM MY VACATION. My new name that I call the ship is the Disaster Of The Seas. I am horribly disappointed with how we were treated. I am even more disappointed that I was unhappy, miserable, sleep deprived and a brat because I was so tired the whole time which caused several problems. I do not think this was handled at all by any staff and that $177 to spend on a future cruise DOES NOT COMPENSATE FOR MY MISERABLE TIME ON THE DISASTER OF THE SEAS. Stay away from room #6504 and apparently when you get off the boat there is nothing they can do further with you. As my follow up to my vacation; If you have a problem, take it up on the ship because all they'll do is put you on hold and jerk you around for 2 hrs on the phone with no other options because on the boat they said we were ok and happy with our experience. Well no, its the same issue as why people came to our room to move the punching bag from out underneath our bed. HA!!! Communication issues and lack of customer service makes me think another cruise line might be the way to go next vacation. However, the boat is lovely (when your able to enjoy it). Decks are always jamm packed on Sea days and I felt like the teenagers really had a run of the ship in the back water and activity areas who didn't seem to have enough supervision from day program managers to parents. I was a huge fan of the promenade cafe and their snacks. I thought they were better then the Wind Jammer and far more convenient when you come back from an excursion and need to go wash the salt and sand off your body before checking out the ports. I also enjoyed our main dining experience in the Saphire dining level and our dinner companions. Our waiter was very attentive and showed us magic tricks as well as taught other dinner guests how to fold napkins into flowers. His coworkers are all very attentive, kind and considerate. My food in the main dining I felt wasn't as good as I've had on other ships as far as dinner was concerned but the breakfast served was delicious, worth the wait and satisfying so if you have an extra minuet before your excursions, skip the Wind Jammer chaos and eat a lovely breakfast in the main dining. It's all served on the lower level of the dining room. We didn't get a chance to play bingo, to many people and to pricey. Didn't win any give aways but they discounted all the spa treatments through out the cruise so if you didn't win a "prize" they gave them away anyway. Allot of the jewlery events were planned during other activities so I didn't get to go to but 1 presentation in which we were supposed to receive earings but they only give out slips that you then have to take into a big crowded store and in port I don't really want to track down the hard to find store and then get blown off by a store manager when I don't want to drop 1000's and just want my free earrings so that was a flop. The library has some nice recliners that look into the promenade but those were always occupied. Our room attendant was attentive enough but usually forgot to fill our ice bucket. The tourist trap t-shirts were to expensive and everything is an upsale. The entertainment on board was a C+ in my opinion. Minus the dirty comedians and it would have been an F. Same shows as the last cruise we took basically. I also wish that the photography for the formal nights was restricted to one area of the boat or they make a photo studio as they continue to use the stairs and block whatever traffic is trying to avoid the elevators, since all the women apparently have to wear stilettos on a moving rocking ship for formal nights therfore not taking the stairs and using them for a photo opp. My suggestion is to avoid the promenade at almost all costs on formal nights so no rude people block your movement on the boat or bump into you and expect an apology. The take away from this cruise I guess is that almost everything was under par this trip.

More like Disaster of the Seas, Room 6504

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisencutie

cruisencutie’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

DON'T GET THIS ROOM!!!!! YOU WON'T SLEEP A WINK!!!!!
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans