3. Seven Seas Mariner
We chose this cruise for the itinerary and because we had heard that Regent was a 5 star experience. Our last cruise was on Oceania Nautica and we had absolutely loved it. We decided to try Regent with it's all-inclusive liquor and excursions. First, what we liked: Our cabin was great (Penthouse with a fabulous butler). The all-inclusive liquor meant we didn't feel nickel-and-dimed at every turn. The room attendants were incredible and the destinations team were very helpful. I loved Marla, the Social Hostess and Terry Breen, the guest lecturer. And what we didn't like: Meals could go on forever, since there didn't seem to be enough waitstaff to bring the courses. The waitstaff was uneven, as well - some were attentive and helpful (thank you Gianluca, Tomaz and Federica!) and others seemed to be waiting for their shift to be over, while providing the minimum amount of attention. And the food was also uneven. For example, in the beginning, the hollandaise sauce was pretty good. After the first week, they forgot how to make it and served a tasteless, gloppy substance. Whatever happened to the lemon juice? I also admit that I really missed the Lido on Nautica. There was no place to have a completely informal meal in the evening - all the restaurants had dress codes. That's fine, but sometime you just want a plate of salad after a day of excursions! The reception desk didn't provide very good followup on requests. But my favorite incident was this: One morning, we were having breakfast in our cabin before setting off for an excursion, when we heard a loud "BANG". It was the glass in the slider to our verandah breaking! Most of the glass remained in the door frame, but there was a substantial amount of glass shards sprayed into the room. I called the butler, who arrived and was shocked. We left to get breakfast at one of the restaurants and to go on our trip. When we got back, the workers were still replacing the glass. This was completed by the time we returned from lunch. No one from management ever bothered to come and see if we were all right. The butler showed up as we were getting ready for dinner and I told him that I expected someone to at least ask if everything was okay. When we got back that night, there was an impersonal note of apology from the hotel manager and a box of chocolates. Okay, we actually were fine and I love chocolate...but the point is just that there was never any actual concern for an incident where we could have been seriously hurt. It is this lack of attention to detail that (to me) makes the difference between a top-notch experience and an okay one. My other complaint was the spa. The women's locker room had none of the niceties that one would expect - no dressing table, no lotions and especially no hair dryers. Really?

Not 5 Stars

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by doggle_99

• Sail Date: March 2017
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

The reception desk didn't provide very good followup on requests.

doggle_99’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Mariner price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin A 1017
The cabin was very nicely appointed. We liked the walk-in closet and the furniture was quite comfortable. The safe was a little shallow, but we adapted. There was an espresso machine that we used occasionally.
Deck 11 Suite Cabins