• Newsletter

DawnPaulHols
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2017

So I like reviews to be short sweet and straight to the point. Here goes we book on a Thompson cruise with a trip on the TUI Discovery. We booked quite late so missed the drinks package. First point of note the day excursions off the ship sell out fast. We tried to book 2 trips both sold out within the first 2 days. The thai restaurant is a must again places went fast its worth the £20 extra. On sea days sadly the british culture of putting your towel out on a sun bed at daft o clock in the morning is still in evidence .

To the credit of Thompson the staff were removing towels that had been on beds for more that 1 hour. Our cabin 3056 was very clean thanks Maria nice size window shower was a little tight but good water pressure. We had a great comfy double bed the cabin had plenty storage space for our clothes. The food was of a good standard with in my opinion a good choice in fresh fruit and hot and cold meals. We went to the self service breakfast buffet each day I must say that set me up for the day. The evening meals were a toss up between the Italian restaurant and the Alacarte restaurant The entertainment was ok as I have watched much better on other Thompsons Ships again this is my opinion. I was a little disappointed at the cost of the Thompson day trips a bike ride was £35 each 2 hour trip to train ride cost us £156.00. Would I use Thompson Holidays again yes would I do this itinerary of islands again No

Cabin outside cabin plus

Clean and tidy good window view plenty of storage space

Port Reviews

Bequia

We were tendered in to this small port and I see why. The island is so small we walked where we could in 60 minutes. There is nothing to do but get a water taxi to a beach we walked it but its very small. I noted there were no other cruise ships in this port I wonder why. We found a guy who took us to a Turtle sanctuary for 8 dollars each which filled some of the day in. I have noted that Thompson have taken this island stop off the 2018 cruise list.

Antigua

We found a taxi guy who took us around the Island ending up a beach which I can only describe as out of this world white sands palms trees and not a Mcdonald in sight

St. Maarten

This is a great place its divided in half French and half Dutch she who knows best loved the duty free shops. Again the beach is in walking distance we walked for about 1 hour found a guy advertising 2 beds a brolly and a bucket of 5 cold beers for 25 dollars it would be rude not to a great day great beach the people very friendly would I go back oh yes.

St. Kitts (Port Zante)

The trip was very interesting the staff on the train a very friendly and very helpful sadly we got caught in a lunch time heavy rain down pour and as the carriages were open sided we all got a good soaking. Not sure it was worth £156.

Tortola

There is absolutely nothing to do or see its a very small shanty village again no other cruise ships visited this port I see why

22 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Marella Discovery Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.