Carnival Dream Cruise Review

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by thisdudelovestocruise

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

I cruise every spring break. I chose this cruise because they dates were right, the price was good, and the debarkation port is awesome (New Orleans).

The food in the Scarlet dining lounge was not good, the service was even worse, much worse.

The shows in the Encore lounge were fantastic. But why the wait? Ship's crew left the doors closed (light and sound checks, presumably) until showtime, causing stampeding after a long, uncomfortable standing wait of 30 minutes or more (for those of us that like to get there early and get a decent seat).

The buffets are still set up in a way that forces people to wait in long lines for 90% of food they don't even want. Why not put the food on islands, as RCCL does?

The shore excursion in Freeport (All Inclusive Beach Getaway) was terrible: drinks so watered down it was not even possible to get a buzz after 30 drinks. Not enough chairs for all the guests and no chaise lounges even offered.

Overall, a disappointing experience.

thisdudelovestocruise's Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin 4D 9328

Outstanding cabin and cabin steward (Oliver was the best steward I've ever had).

New Orleans

Love New Orleans. Got to get down to Bourbon Street if you go! Find the fish bowls for $10, $5 refills. One will do the job!

Key West

Love Key West. Great port to NOT do an excursion. Just rent a bicycle and explore. Use Google to find things to do...you're still in the U.S. so your smart phone should work fine.

Beach

Paid $80 per person, expecting all the food and alcoholic drinks we wanted for free. Ha! No alcohol in the drinks, no matter what they say. I had 30 of them, my belly making sloshing noises as I walked that everyone around could hear...still no buzz! Also, they ran out of adirondack chairs (no chaise lounges even offered), and the food was limited and only available for a 30 minute window. Do NOT book this trip!

Nassau

I like Nassau, but the time zone difference messed me up. I had booked a scuba trip with a dive company weeks before sailing. They asked for my arrival and departure times, so I read them the times shown on Carnival's web site. Oops, Carnival uses New Orleans times, even in the Bahamas, which are an hour ahead. Bottom line, I missed my dive trip because of this. Recommend if you book a trip on your own beforehand, make sure you know the LOCAL time of ship arrival/departure (might be impossible to find out, but i'd try calling Carnival).

thisdudelovestocruise