Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by ElTeeCruise

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Ocean View

We chose this cruise because Celebrity has a good reputation. I would say that it is mainly deserved. The ship itself was very smart and the buffet is the best I have experienced in terms of choice and spacious layout.

Food was generally good, although the chefs do seem very keen on mashed potato. The dining room had an impressive decor. Everyone we met at dinner seemed very nice and friendly. The room service menu is a little limited, I was surprised there were no omelettes or jacket potatoes included in the basic menu. If you're staying in your cabin in the evening, it's probably because you're not feeling that great. But hey, great to have food brought to your cabin for free.

My mother-in-law has mobility problems and my sister-in-law asked what are the procedures for disabled people if there had to be an evacuation? Clearly not something that Celebrity has spent much time thinking about although to be fair, neither have the other cruise lines I've been on. Generally, the crew were very friendly and helpful except one time we wanted to disembark and one gangway was just about to be dismantled. We asked if they could just let my mother-in-law off and they refused even though going round to the other gangway meant her having to go up and down some steps, which she finds difficult, (and we did point that out to them). I was shocked at their attitude.

We enjoyed lots of activities onboard including the Modern American Line Dance class, the Silent Disco, the Art Auction and Bingo for my mother-in-law. One overrated activity, in my opinion is the Hot Glass Show. Only go to that if you are very interested in glass blowing and are very patient. I only lasted ten minutes before I left. The quality of the entertainment was very good including the ship's company, but I did think the choice of songs sometimes was more for the benefit of the young cast rather than for the more mature audience.

We were lucky enough to have a free classic drinks package and were told we could upgrade for $100 on the first day. This we did and it was the right decision. We didn't like the wine we tried on the classic drink package and the wines were much better on the Premier package. Plus it meant we could have any drink including cocktail or coffee we liked. I wouldn't say we were huge drinkers but we definitely got our money's worth.

We went on the 5 Star Island Tour of St Thomas. What a rip off. The supposed scenic tour lasted about 15 minutes, one stop for photos and the rest of the time before the beach was spent at a large store. We were told that Magens Beach is the best beach in St Thomas. I hope not. If you hired a lounger or chair, you had to drag it yourself over a crowded beach with lots of tree roots. We paid someone to do that for us. You were meant to take them back and get your deposit back. We couldn't find the man and with the huge queue waiting to get back their deposits, we cut our losses and made sure we got to the trolley bus on time. Our fault for not starting to pack up earlier but with all this to sort out, you actually get very little time on the beach to relax. My advice is get a taxi and go straight to the beach. I will say that the trolley bus driver, Craig, was very good with my mother-in-law helping her off and on each time.

The best trip we went on was the Scenic Railway Tour of St Kitts. Expensive but definitely worth it. Nice views of the island and very strong (included) cocktails. We couldn't hear the narration from the 4th carriage but our minibus driver had told us the same information (from what I could hear) any way.

ElTeeCruise's Full Rating Summary

Family Ocean View
Cabin FV 8107

We were in a Family Ocean View Cabin, which was huge compared to the size of a standard cabin. Decent lounge area, decent dining area, lots of windows and big balcony.Expensive but worth it if you want some space. We chose that because my mother-in-law needs a mobility scooter, which has to stored inside the cabin. The three of us and a scooter in a normal sized cabin would have been a very tight squeeze indeed. Bags of room for the scooter in this one, though.

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the shower in the bathroom. I was in the 2nd bedroom, which is intended for children and has two bunk beds. I was glad I was on my own as the space would have been too cramped for two adults if the second bed had been let down. One niggle was that Celebrity is doing some cost cutting - no shower gel only soap below concierge grade? It all seems rather mean and petty and not the image Celebrity is keen to promote.

Island Tour

View All 291 Island Tour Reviews
Scenic Railway

The best trip we went on was the Scenic Railway Tour of St Kitts. Expensive but definitely worth it. Nice views of the island and very strong free cocktails. We couldn't hear the narration from the 4th carriage but our minibus driver had told us the same information (from what I could hear) any way.

View All 303 Scenic Railway Reviews
Beach

Much nicer beach than St Thomas. Price included free cocktail, lounger and umbrella. Enjoyable afternoon on the beach.

St. Maarten

Went by ourselves by water taxi (without mother-in-law who didn't want to go, luckily as can't see how she would have managed the very long walk to the water taxis or the water taxis). Water taxis finish at 5.30 p.m. apparently so no chance of evening in port. Nice to wander around and have a drink in a bar.

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

We didn't do an excursion but the website is insisting that we complete this field. Sigh.

ElTeeCruise