3. Carnival Spirit
We just came back from 7 days Alaska cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Carnival Spirit. Alaska is unbelievable beautiful, I am sure we will go back again. Carnival or even cruising, we are not so sure. Food: Very very bad. We have read from several books that Carnival has one of the best cuisines among mainstream cruise lines. All I can say is I can't imagine how the food can be worse. I actually lost a pound after 7 days of cruising. Main Dining room: Starters are generally good, though some are on the salty side. Steak, Rib, Free-range chicken are very good. Veal meat is too rough, like leather. Pork Loin is terrible. And if you are a seafood lover, you are out of luck. Lobster is way toooo salty, crab leg, fish and shrimp all have no taste at all. The only good seafood is cured salmon, a starter. Spa menu should be low-fat, low sodium, not low taste. Buffet: Ehhh. How can soup be saltier than ocean water? How can hamburger meat taste like candle? How hard you have to try to make eggroll taste bland? The only things eatable are sandwich and pizza, though they are far from good. Cabin: Very nice. Small, but comfortable. Nice bed, pillow and comforter. The only complain is the constant foul smell in the bathroom, even with the fan on 24 hours a day. Entertainment: N/A We only went to one show, not our cup of tea. Besides who has time for indoor entertainment when it's so beautiful outside. One fellow passenger who has cruised Carnival 7 times commented that this is the worst entertainment she has ever saw. I will take her word for it. Family & Children: Bad The whole reason our travel agent recommended Carnival is because of their Camp Carnival program, what a letdown. The problem with Camp Carnival is that they organize their program strictly based on age 2 - 5, 6 - 8, 9 - 11, 12 - 14. As any parents would know, a great activity for 6-year-old might be cruelly boring for a 8-year-old, while a great activity for 8-year-old could make 6-year-old very confused. I wish Carnival would loosen up the age limitation so a 8 or 11 year old kids can choose with age group they want to join. Service: Uneven The room service was great. The steward seems working ALL THE TIME. Our room would be clean and tidy every time we went back. She is also very friendly whenever we met her at the hallway. Dining room, well, the fixed time dining is OK. Not good, not bad either. However, the any-time dining was a nightmare, I wish Carnival would just get rid of it. The first time our drink arrived when we are finishing dessert. The next time, our waitress toke our order and disappeared for 45 minutes leaving us sitting there, wondering what's going on.

Great Alaska, Disappoint Carnival