3. Regal Princess
This was our second cruise overall and first on Princess. Our first cruise was a 3-night getaway on the NCL Sky in September 2016. There is no comparison between these two cruises. The ship, Regal Princess. As of today she is still the newest ship in the Princess fleet. That'll change next week when Majestic sails for her pre-maiden voyage voyage. Still, a 2-years old ship felt new to me. Almost everything is in tip top shape. Our cruise was sold out with 3804 passengers on board. The only time I felt the ship was crowded and experienced elevator traffic jam was right after the muster drill. Luckily our cabin was on deck 9 and we just took the stairs. Tip #1: If you don't mind walking and using the stairs, that will save you a lot of aggravation and burn 2 extra calories from all the great food on board. Cabin - We had an aft corner "penthouse" suite. The suite is decently sized and feels like a small apartment in a city with living area separated from sleeping area. We liked it, but I've read other cruisers prefer a more open floor plan. The bathroom is separated into two parts, one with the toilette & a sink and the other part with another sink, shower, and tub. The tub was a nice touch, although most likely under utilized by most people. We were on a 7-night cruise and only used it once. A better design would be a shower/tub combination and free up some spaces. Balcony - Now the reason we booked this cabin is the BALCONY. Being a corner suite the balcony wraps around from the side of ship to the back of the ship. The balcony along is over 100 sq. ft. and comes with a round table, 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs, and 1 more small table for the loungers. We loved the balcony. Only wishing we had more time to spend on it watching the sea goes by. The only downside of having an aft balcony: soot. There was a slow but steady built up of soot from the ship's exhaust. It never really bothered us, but you don't want to walk out to the balcony bare feet. Tip #2: Use the included slippers when walking out on balcony. Tip #3: Ask room steward for a couple beach towels. Use the towels to cover the loungers before sitting down to sun bathe. Dining - O. M. G. Where do I start? Ok. Princess's logo is "Come back new." For sure my wife and I came back from the cruise and became picky eaters, because no restaurants around our area can match the quality of food on Regal, especially Sabatini's. Ok, let me rephrase. No restaurants where I don't want to spend $200 a meal can match the quality on Regal. Try Sabatini's. For $29 extra a person it's a bargain. Make sure you try the artichoke suffle, rack of veal, garlic infused shrimp, and lobster three ways. Main Dining Room was excellent as well. Braised beef short ribs, lamb shank, linguine with longneck clams, and Curtis Stone's seafood stew/broth. All of them are not to be missed. Service? Excellent as well. Friendly, attentive, and not overbearing. Our waiter, Panya, took the time to go over the menu every night. He made sure to point out the specials for that night, like that Curtis Stone's seafood broth and Norman Love's chocolate journey desserts. Do not miss out on those Norman Love's chocolate desserts! They are only served on formal nights though, but they along are worth the trouble of putting on a suit & tie for me. Ultimate Balcony Dining - I selected this for our special night's dinner because, well, that balcony. Need to use it, right? Our waiter, Dancho, called and made an appointment to meet with us to go over the menu, set up the time, and make sure we don't have any food allergies. The standard menu is limited: filet, lobster, or both (surf & turf). I've read people have made changes due to their dietary needs. We went with surf & turf. The dinner comes with an appetizer, a salad, the main course, and dessert. Portion sizes are very generous. On the night of dinner, Dancho even gave us two extra lobster tails. That was a very pleasant surprise for us. Also included in the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a 8"x10" photo. A ship photographer will come to your room and take a 8 to 10 shots. You will need to go to the Photo & Video gallery and ask for the pictures as they are not displayed on the walls. One picture is included and additional pictures are $15 each. We selected two and paid $15 for the extra. Ultimate Balcony Dinner was a very unique and enjoyable experience for us. I would not hesitate to do it again. Note on Ultimate Balcony Dinner: This is considered as room service. While no additional tips are required, they are certainly appreciated by the staff. Since we enjoyed it so much and the service was top notch, we gave Dancho and his assistant something extra at the end. Entertainment - The live performances and shows were mostly geared towards older (i.e. baby boomers) crowd. At the start of cruise we couldn't even get a seat in the main theater. However we managed to catch couple shows in the 2nd half of the week. One show was with a variety entertainer, but we left halfway through the show because his song choices stopped at the 80's (I want my Top 40 pop songs!). The other show was Fiera, which was paired with the likes of Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, and Michael Jackson. That show we enjoyed very much. The String Quartet on the ship was pretty good. Movies Under the Stars was unique experience. However due to the location (Lido deck) and the ship was usually moving (wind), after the first one we didn't go back to catch another movie that way. Although blankets and free popcorn were nice. Service - Besides the food on the ship, the next best thing is the service. The crew were always friendly and accommodating. We felt we were attended to when needed and were able to enjoy our privacy when we didn't need the staff. Ninja crews, I say. But we felt pampered by Regal's crew and will miss that kind of service dearly. Case in point - Went to a restaurant we have always gone after the cruise, the wait staff there all of sudden seemed rude and inconsiderate... New perspective I suppose. Note on Service - We were booked in a suite, which receives a lot of extra perks like priority embarkation and tendering. That of course biased our experience. Your experience may vary. Additional Charge Locations: Gelato, International Cafe, Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Lotus Spa. Of course all alcohol are extra charge. Tip #4: Alcohol drinkers, if you are considering getting the All-Inclusive Beverages Package, do it. It is also accepted at Gelato for ice cream, sundaes (including alcoholic sundaes), and all drinks at International Cafe. I got the All-Inclusive Beverage Package and used it to get sundaes from Gelatos and wife and I will share that one sundae. It was 3 scoops of ice cream! Can't finish it by myself. Tip #5: Coffee drinker, get the Princess's coffee card for $31 plus 15% gratuity. That gives you 15 punches to use at International Cafe for specialty coffee (drip coffee is included, punch-free, with the coffee card) and Gelato for ice cream and sundaes. Alcoholic sundaes are 2 punches instead of one. Still, that's just over $2 per specialty coffee. A large one is over $3 a la carte. And the coffee card doesn't expire. If you didn't use all the punches on this cruise, bring it on your next Princess cruise and it's still usable! Excursions - In Jamaica we did Mystic Mountain with chair lift, bob sled, and zip line. Thoroughly enjoyed it. But Montego Bay is just too far from Mystic Mountain, which is close to Ocho Rios area. The ride over to Mystic Mountain took about 1.5 hours. In Grand Cayman we did the highlights tour with turtle farm and stingray city. If we were to do over again, we would either just visit the turtle farm or stingray city. The rest of the "highlights" were not very special. For Cozumel we signed up for the Chitzen Itza excursion. Chitzen Itza itself was very interesting and our tour guide was very knowledgeable, but it was 3 hours each way to the site and we only spent about 1.5 hours on site. Will we go to Chitzen Itza again? Yes, but not as a cruise excursion. Our tour guide said if we were staying in Cancun or surrounding areas, they have tours to Chitzen Itza that lasts 13 to 14 hours. Overall, this was a most excellent cruise for my wife and I. It certainly made our 15th anniversary very special. Will we sail on Princess again? Most definitely!!!

Pampered Pampered Pampered

Regal Princess Cruise Review by Selion

• Sail Date: March 2017
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite with Balcony

Tip #2: Use the included slippers when walking out on balcony.

PrincessCruises3, Social Team, Princess Cruises has responded
Hi Selion, congratulations to you and your wife on your 15th anniversary! We're honored that you chose to celebrate with Princess. Thank you for the great feedback and tips from your time on Regal Princess, we hope to welcome you onboard again soon!
Selion’s Full Rating Summary
Get Regal Princess price drops

Penthouse Suite with Balcony
Cabin S3 D726

Tip: Use the included slippers when walking out on balcony.
Tip: Ask room steward for a couple beach towels. Use the towels to cover the loungers before sitting down to sun bathe.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins