3. Carnival Ecstasy
We picked this cruise because we were taking our 13yo grand-daughter. It was her spring break and her first cruise. We are an 8 hour drive from Charleston (closest port to us). Disclaimer: my wife and I are not the beach people, but grand daughter is. So, we wanted a shorter cruise and one that had a private beach, and this one worked great. Although any cruise is better than staying home and working, this one was not up to the standards we are used to. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ship. The layout works. Yes, you can't get through on deck 8, but not a big deal. Yes, it is a smaller ship so they don't have as much as one of the larger new ships, but that is only to be expected. We have sailed on the Fascination (same size ship) and loved it. So... why the negativity? I will get to all that. Service in the dining room. Breakfast, this morning our juice arrived just as we finished our meal. Great timing. The table next to us, they brought the parents plates out. When they were just about finished eating, they brought out the plates for their two daughters. Mind you, one of them ordered cereal. Wasn't like they were waiting to prepare it or anything. I ordered the cream of wheat, had to ask 3 times for the brown sugar, it came after about 10 minutes. Another morning during breakfast, asked for fresh ground pepper, they said sure, and then never showed up again. At dinner, service was not only slow, but would forget stuff all the time. Our waiters had some great attitudes, and I really liked the three on the team, but they just couldn't get it together. Constantly setting the wrong plate down in front of the wrong person, taking forever as they are trying to figure out what to take where. One evening they just plain forgot my wife and my soup. They came over right before dessert and said sorry. In the Blue Saphire (main theater) never saw more than 2 waiters. I am guessing that Carnival is still making a profit. I believe they are reducing their labor costs by decreasing their staff. Therefore, you don't see as many staff. Also, if you are going to be selling all you can drink drink packages, and then you cut back on bar staff, you can make even more money because people can't get their drinks. If you cut cabin service to once a day and then give the cabin stewards extra cabins to work, you can save even more. One day the coffee shop was supposed to open at 3:00 PM. I went at 3:00, no one. Went back at 3:30 and he was just getting there and said it would be just a minute. He had to attend a training. He finally opened at almost 4. I realize there is training to be done, but I would also figure they knew about that before they printed the fun times. We love the trivia type activities. There were plenty of those to keep our attention. However, there was one day was supposed to be baseball trivia. There were a few extra people than normal for it. The girl showed up and said it would be general sports trivia, that would be better. There were quite a few of us that weren't real happy. Then there were questions like "Name the Right Guard from the Denver Broncos that played every game in 2010" I am not kidding. You might have just as well asked name 3 right guards that have ever played in the NFL.. The next night was supposed to be sports movie trivia, yep, general sports again. Not that there is anything wrong with general sports, I would be at all of them, bute do what is in the Fun Times. There were some positives. We went on our own to Ardastra Gardens in Nassau. It was great. Loved the flamingo show and the bird feeding. Would recommend this. Then we went to the straw market to pick up some souveniers and then stopped to get a conch fritter and check email. We stopped at Sharkeez right across from the ships. The food was decent (we just got a large appetizer plate and shared it.) However, the wifi was extremely slow and we paid about $35 for the appetizer plate. I would not recommend this place. My wife stayed on the ship for Half Moon Cay. My grand daughter and I had a blast. It was very good. Our Cruise Director was Ben Lambert. He was outstanding. Mack was one of his staff members. She was also great. Those two were my favorites on the cruise. Again, I really liked our Dining Room waiters even though they weren't the best, they made it enjoyable. I always found something on the American Table menus that I liked. Some of the old stuff was gone, but it was replaced with something just as good. Guy's burgers were only consumed once by me, and there is a reason I didn't go back. The taco's at Blue Iguana was another story. I had them over and over and over again. Delicious and the shortest line on the ship. Not sure I will ever sail Carnival again. I might, but it will be a while, I am sure.

Just off maybe my last Carnival cruise

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by rideev

Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Ecstasy price drops

Grand Suite
Cabin GS U107
Our first suite. Yes, it was much bigger. We only got the suite as it was from an upsell call. We started in an aft-extended balcony. When they called, I liked the idea of more room and not having a pull down over my head. Room was not really clean when we got it in. Dust on the shelves, I found a dime on the floor, just little things like that. The cabin steward was nice enough, Izzy, but he asked if we wanted once or twice a day service. That is part of the cruise experience. We did like the tons of storage space, the bigger bathroom with a tub (no one took a bath, but there was never any water on the floor either.) What we didn't like is that the couch was turned into a bed the first night and was never a couch again. No sense in having a couch in the room if it is nothing but a bed.
Upper Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins