Crown Princess Cruise Review

Crown Princess Cruise Review by csmaslin

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We chose this cruise based on the itinerary and a long history with Princess. This ship really needs to be dry docked for R&R (remove and replace) things like, beds, toilets, carpets, railings and a few modern updates. Our Caribe balcony needed cleaning, new carpets and the balcony table, chairs, rails and windows never were cleaned unless we asked the steward to do it daily.

What is it about the rude waiters and assistant waiters in the dining rooms? They think nothing about interrupting conversations to push pastries, alcoholic drink cards, speciality dining, photos and other stuff.

Most dining requests get lost in translation? For example, I ask for a large glass of tomato juice and I receive two small glasses. It's not like there aren't large glasses already on the table. I have witnessed people requesting decaf coffee being served from the same pot filling caffeinated coffee cups. A request for a slice of tomato for a delivered sandwich and it arrives with the center missing; so primarily it's just a ring of tomato skin. A request for Cheese, comes back shreaded and not sliced. It's almost like you have to have a picture of the food item you want, prepared like you want, to get it the way you want. Kinda like having the menus dfrom Japan.

I've noticed trends that the quality of items in the dining room has declined overall with items you order when received are not what you expected. An example, you order a fillet mignon and get some other cut of beef, hidden under a Béarnaise sauce. I have argued with more section waiters about the false claims on the cuts of meat than I care to remember. Only to be told that, "This is all we have" is insulting when you can get the correct cut of beef in a specialty dining room for 29 dollars more per meal.

You might order a fancy dish like bouillabaisse and find that it is missing the saffron or even the fish. When you inquire about the difference, you're told that, "this is chef's interpretation of the dish." I wonder if I pay the onboard stateroom charges with my interpretation of money, would they be as pacified as they expect us to be.

After nine days on a 19 day cruise, we continually received over cooked fish on the initial order and pre-orders. Of course we send it back and tell them we do not want dry fish, and the plate is returned much better but seldom perfect. When I asked the section waiter what does it take to have fish prepared so that is not over cooked and moist on the initial request we were told that we needed to sign a waiver for under cooked food. Never in my 14 cruses with Princess have I had to sign any such thing, no would any reasonable cruiser think that moist is raw.

The Entertainment was about average for Princess; however we noticed that the entertainment was centered on English speaking patrons, while European and South American patrons were clueless when it came to jokes and stories. Half of the princess theatre was empty during a comedian/juggler or a comedian/magic act.

Service was overall O.K.; there are always bright spots at your favorite bar (that is why it's your favorite). We found that Vines, Crooners and most likely your room steward were the highlights. I noticed that if we ordered a drink from anywhere else than your favorite bar, it was watered down. In those times, order beer or wine from splits. Also they stopped giving you receipts, you have to ask for them. Many people find errors on their stateroom accounts, it is good to have records.

Princess should just forget about going to Brazil until they clean up their act, it is too crime ridden, dirty and difficult to get in and out of.

Would I choose Princess again, yes. The industry has been declining over the years hiding the additional expense with add-on charges for just about everything. They are not different from their competitors in that regard, so when you compare them they are all pretty close to being the same with subtle differences.

csmaslin's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BA C214

Needs to be updated, carpets replaced, television needed adjusting, balcony equipment needed cleaning, toilet scratched and unpleasant to look at.

Distillery Tour

It was good, but hard to drink at 9am

View All 33 Distillery Tour Reviews
Martinique

Not much to say, just went into town and found a place to drink beer

Catamaran Sail

Nice tour, but the ship's sails were missing so we had to endure a motorboat ride and not a sail

View All 123 Catamaran Sail Reviews
Catamaran Tour

This was booked as a combo trip, boat ride was good and relaxing

View All 128 Catamaran Tour Reviews
Scenic Railway

This was the best tour of the trip. We really enjoyed the boat ride and then the train ride. Great views

View All 303 Scenic Railway Reviews
Buenos Aires

Been there before and nothing new to report. We took a taxi to the largest mall in town and walk around a bit.

csmaslin