Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review
2,144 Reviews

Far too many minor "bug bears".

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by RELEE

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We chose this cruise because we had never been to Morocco, the Canary Islands or Madeira. The ship and crew were fine but having paid up front for the Ultimate Drinks Package and Gratuities I was amazed to find if I ordered a tea or coffee in a restaurant or cafe I had to pay for it. If that wasn't bad enough the stupidity of charging for a coffee but NOT an Irish Coffee beggars belief. Want a bottle of water? $7!! Internet, $1 a minute or £30 a day! When I wanted to acquire some more cash I was told there was a ten dollar standing charge!

The cabin with a balcony was rather small and I doubt some really large people could even get into the toilet. Very little storage space apart from a large wardrobe. Though it had a coffee percolator we Brits like our tea and for a proper brew you need BOILING water which was not available either in the cabin or the Buffet Restaurant.

The food in the Buffet Restaurant was okay and was excellent in the restaurants, except for the Italian, I did not think anyone could mess up Lasagna but they did. Drinks were incredibly expensive so I was glad we had paid up front but imagine my surprise and disgust when having paid Gratuities up front there was a place on all my bills for EXTRA TIPS!!

The entertainment was not bad but certainly not great, far too Continental for our taste and charging $10 for a game of Bingo is "Having a laugh"!

The trips out were fine and we enjoyed all four. However just to put the "Tin Hat" on the "Bug Bears" the bus taking us to the airport to go home parked at least half a mile from Terminal Twp at Barcelona.

Will I cruise again? Well if Ocean Village were still going "Yes" but I will not be cruising with NCL again, all they seemed to want to do was squeeze a bit more money out of us, everywhere we went there was someone wanting to take our photo, at $25 a go we declined.

All minor things I suppose but far too many to forgive.

RELEE's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BX 10630

Too small in almost every way apart from the bed and the wardrobe.

Kasbah Museum

Would have been perfect but the museum was closed and the weather none too good but all in all a good day.

View All 2 Kasbah Museum Reviews

Very well organised but to be honest not impressed by the Island.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Best of Tenerife - Lava and Fire

It would have been excellent but the original road we went on to get to the top of the mountain was closed so we had to go another way which meant we had little free time at all.

View All 19 Best of Tenerife - Lava and Fire Reviews

This was more like it!! Loved the island and Funchal. Went on the Cable Car and came down on the toboggan. We had a lucky escape when one of our men fell half way down the ride. He fell very heavily but managed to carry on eventually. With just one man controlling the toboggan for a short while it was quite scary but the support men at the side of the road stepped in very quickly. Gave us something to talk about! The wine tasting was good apart from the lady serving us was very miserable!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Malaga

Walked into town to get some cash because the ship cashier wanted $10 up front! We walked to the new development on the front, really lovely, then walked back. We did no more as we have been to Malaga several times in the past.

RELEE