3. Norwegian Getaway
We recently sailed on this ship--Spring Break Week. Let me start by saying that the ship is a lovely vessel and that my constructive criticism could be summed up as first world problems. First, our room steward forgot to make up the room on our first night which set off for an awkward stay--it was 11 p.m. and my kids were DONE. The came in frantically calling her supervisor on the phone that she had no sheets/blankets for the bed. Someone else ended up coming in and fixing the room 20 minutes later informing us of a time change. The TV was broken which we brought to her attention but that was never sorted out--no biggie, we were not there to watch TV. Throughout the trip she made the bed and brought towels--that was it...no tidying no cleaning and the bathroom smelled like pee. The restaurants were mediocre--uber slow but we were not in any rush. The food is salty. Reservations were tough to obtain at desirable hours unless you booked before getting on the ship. This was our first Norwegian rodeo so we really didn't know.( I think the Freestyle just isn't for me as we prefer the more traditional dress up nights and scheduled dining with the same servers.) Pool area was great--plenty of chairs for everyone and the activities for the kiddos were top notch. Waterfront area (bars/dining) lovely with a piazza feel. Boarding--our pier agent was rude. She told us nothing about anything. NEXT...disembarking was quick and easy as well and finding the luggage and getting out of the parking lots onto the highway. Youth Program the staff was great! The hours were odd from other ships we have experienced. Our kids have always enjoyed having dinner with their friends while mom and dad get ready for dinner. Not the case on this ship, Splash Academy is closed for lunch and dinner making for a lot of dropping off and picking up with long lines. We did not keep our kids there are hours (10:30), so I am not sure about the night program activities. (Personally, I think that the other major competators (family oriented lines) have better programs.) As I was exiting the ship "Cinderella" told me how much she could not wait to finish her contract because she felt trapped. Poor thing, I know ship life is stressful and they do not provide mental help for though poor souls that need it being away from family for so long. Ports were great and getting off the ship was a breeze. Harvest Caye was boring and lacked culture. It was a "planned community" Landshark restaurant, kiosks, etc. Think Sea World. (Although, someone did try to sell my husband a prostitute there--YIKES!) Overall, we had an amazing week on this splendid vessel. I have wonderful memories with my family. We have cruised about 10 times from the Big Red Boat to some of the fancier lines...the crew has always made me feel special...not on this ship. Would I cruise with Norwegian again? Not likely.

Not up to the industry standard

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Liv_mags

• Sail Date: March 2017
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Mini-Suite with Balcony

Waterfront area (bars/dining) lovely with a piazza feel.

Liv_mags’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 10 to 12
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M4 14194
A bit noisy--it is under the pool deck so when the put the chairs down in the morning--you hear it.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins