Viking Star Cruise Review
1,878 Reviews

Traveling with my disabled husband was very comfortable

Viking Star Cruise Review by DCJLAcruising

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

My husband, who is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's, had always wanted to see Paris but traveling is difficult for him. When Viking came out with its inaugural cruise - Passage through Western Europe - which cruised up the Seine to within two hours of Paris and docked overnight, it gave my husband the chance to see the landmarks of Paris as well as many other beautiful cities.

The ship was beautiful. Through the clever design of the decks and dining room, the ship never felt crowded - there were quiet little corners everywhere.

The wheelchair access cabin was perfect for my husband. The room was spacious with everything designed for a handicapped passenger, including access to the balcony.

Onboard services were excellent and all staff were friendly and helpful.

We did not go on the ship's excursions, most would have been too much for my husband. At most ports we were able to simply disembark and wander around the city for an hour or two and then return to the comfort of the ship.

The only negative comment I have is that at some ports, the gangplank was very steep and it was difficult to get on and off with a wheelchair or for anyone with limited mobility. After insisting that my husband could not be physically carried on and off by staff, we were able to use a different access on a lower deck but apparently this caused some difficulty with the ship's passenger tracking system. This issue may well have been corrected by now.

All in all a wonderful trip and we hope to sail again on the Viking Star soon.

DCJLAcruising's Full Rating Summary

The wheelchair cabin was spacious, comfortable and easy to access with a wheelchair

DCJLAcruising