3. Queen Elizabeth
We booked this cruise to celebrate a 40th birthday and our 20th wedding anniversary for myself, husband and our 3 year old son. We loved the refined, elegant, beautiful decor, the attentive and friendly crew and the food was excellent. I have to commend Cunard for their recruitment process because the crew were all wonderful. Our cabin steward, Maribeth, in Princess Grill Suites was fantastic and took great care of us. We were on deck 8 and were very happy with the size and location of our stateroom. We left our room by 8am every day and it was always serviced and immaculate within 30 minutes. We used the spa, gym and hair salon most days and everyone was very professional, courteous and friendly and we loved relaxing in the bath house. My hair always looked great thanks to Nicolene. The food in Princess Grill was delicious and the service was impeccable. I have allergies and was well catered for with a special menu and the food was always fresh, well plated and full of flavour. There was also a wonderful range of wines and John, our sommelier, always recommended the perfect accompaniment to our meal. All the crew in the Princes Grill (Raul, Julian, Sushant, Jeffrey) and Grill Lounge were first class. There wasn't much atmosphere in the Grill Lounge although it was fine for a quick pre dinner drink and the bar steward, Dipak was always pleasant and welcoming and remembered our names and favourite drinks. The onboard photographers were amazing and were excited to have a little kid on board. They were very patient with him and thanks to them, we have very special mementos of our cruise. I have been very ill and am due more surgery so it really means a lot to us to have such beautiful family photos and video together to remember our trip. For our first few days on board I took my son into the Play Zone and stayed with him so he could settle in, but he loved it so much, he was happy to stay there with the amazing staff. The kids club staff are all experienced, well trained and wonderful and took great care of the few kids who were on board. The kids club have a great daily programme, plenty of toys/books (which we can also borrow) and good indoor and outdoor play areas. There is not much for them to do outwith the kids club and we found some of the other passengers made it obvious they hated kids because he was made to feel very unwelcome in all the public areas. Kids do pay full fare so it is unfair they are expected to be confined to the kids club, which can be a huge challenge when it's closed, as there is nowhere else for them to go. We tried the games deck (croquet, lawn bells etc) but it's not really suitable for his age and the other passengers take this activities very seriously and competitively. Our son couldn't eat in Princess Grill because the woman at the next table constantly told him to shut up and would jump out of her chair, waving her arms and dramatically hitting the ceiling if he made the slightest sound. Her behaviour was borderline aggressive, which actually made him noisier, as she would upset and frighten him. After 2 days we stopped taking him there and the staff very kindly had his food delivered to our stateroom. Another woman next to us threw her plate down in disgust on our first night, shouting "I paid a lot of money and I expect better". Our child was far better behaved than some of those entitled, petulant passengers. I heard so much rudeness directed at the crew around the ship, which upset me and some of the passengers complained about everything little thing. It did spoil our holiday not being able to eat together as a family. My husband would eat breakfast and lunch in the grill alone while I took my son to Lido as it was easier to avoid confrontation with the rude passengers. Thankfully my husband and I could eat dinner together while the kid clubs ladies entertained our son (Play zone is closed during breakfast and lunch). We would watch from our dining room window as the kids club whizzed past us in the deck below racing in the Little Tikes Cars. The ship does cater more for elderly passengers and many of the daily activities didn't appeal to us. The average age on our cruise was 74 and they already had 7 deaths by natural causes in the previous 2 months. The library is exceptional with a great range of books which helps to pass the time. Some of the behind the scenes tours are for over 16's and the kids club is closed at those times so we missed out attending those. We dined at 6.30pm so we could have our son in bed by 8pm, so we always missed the formal balls and the evening entertainment (which we didn't mind as we expected this to happen) but it was good fun dressing up for the formal dinners. We loved the midship bar for a quick glass of bubbly after dinner. We enjoyed all the shore excursions although they were a little slow due to a lot of passengers with mobility issues. On the tender port days it took forever to get everyone on and off the ship using the tenders due to wheelchairs and walking aids. The onboard shops were good although I was surprised there weren't more toys available to purchase given the amount of grandparents on board wanting to buy souvenirs for their grandkids. We were fortunate to have wonderful neighbours on our deck who made us all feel very welcome and many of the passengers will become lifelong friends. However given the cranky and selfish attitudes we experienced with some of the Cunard cruisers, I doubt I will sail on Cunard in the foreseeable future. There were constant arguments in the guest laundry over washing machines and 4 passengers at the world voyage Cocktail party were thrown off for fighting at the buffet table. We were constantly told how lucky we should feel to be on board even though we have travelled regularly many times as a family around the globe. It does seem like Cunard hide the kids away in the kids deck which encourages the idea that this is an adults only cruise ship. There are regular activities for solo adult travellers around the ship, who also have separate dining areas, so perhaps this may be an idea to extend to families too considering our kids will be your future cruise passengers.

Wonderful! (Could be improved for families)

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Sandra Mackenzie

Ages 16+
Get Cunard Queen Elizabeth price drops

Princess Suite
Cabin P1 8083
Very clean and spacious with lots of storage. Good location for the stairs, lifts, guest laundry for accessing the Lido and Princess Grill. Little noise during the night from Lido above but didn;t bother us too much
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins