3. Carnival Valor
This was the very first cruise for both my 17 year old son and I. He has moderate autism spectrum disorder and global developmental delays, so I was very anxious about our trip. We chose the 5 day cruise out of Galveston for our first one due to timing and length. We got lucky with an earlier spring break than most of Texas. Everyone on board couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating! Our stateroom was small, but that was expected and we did not plan on spending any time in it. We had arranged for a private muster drill and that accommodation was fantastic. No one on board seemed to be aware of the arrangements our booking agents had made, but when I explained my son's needs everyone was fantastic in figuring out how to make it happen. Special shout-out to Natasha in the teen club who was absolutely wonderful in accommodating my son and helping me manage getting him there (she suggested I get the phone from the kid's club that parents get and she called me when he was ready to leave). Our steward was great and always available, and our service in the main dining room was excellent. I was only disappointed with two entree items overall, but I ordered double of everything so I always had plenty of food. My extremely picky son even tried new foods every night (which has always been a giant fight in the past, so this was truly a life-changing dining experience for him). Loved the Guy Fieri burgers as well, and the water I ordered was waiting in our cabin on the first day. I did find the cabaret show to be very oddly staged but we loved the 80s review. Our excursions were well-managed (I booked through Carnival for excursions in both Progreso and Cozumel) and also accommodating of my son's needs. The pace was laid back and we had plenty of time to browse in port after the excursions returned us before we had to board the ship. We had great fun with the on board activities (my son loved the Build A Bear) and games, and overall had an excellent experience.

First Cruise, and Had a great time!

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by jensplace

• Sail Date: March 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas

jensplace’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Valor price drops

Considering that we had an inside cabin with twin bunk beds, there was much more storage space and floor space than anticipated. I had been warned about the lack of space in the bathroom but all the built in shelves on the mirror more than met our needs.
  Carnival Valor Deck Plans

• Chankanaab National Park Tour
    We booked the day at the national park with the sea lion show and buffet lunch included. We had guided snorkeling, which was just the right amount of ocean time for me, and I was glad we were close enough to shore where I could see my son (who refused to snorkel after he saw a fish). We had a large group on this excursion and our guide, Rafa, was great at helping us all manage our time and telling us things to do in the park.

The buffet lunch was fine, and the open bar was great. Rafa was engaging and fun during the tequila tasting and the sea lion show was very cute. We got back in time to do some shopping before getting back on the ship and getting ready for dinner. In all, this was a great excursion for getting a sample of lots of things in a relaxed atmosphere, with a nice mix of structured activities and down time.
    View All 228 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews
  • Mayan Ruins
    We went on an excursion to the Dzibilchaltun ruins and Mexican Fiesta with a traditional lunch and horse show/rodeo.

The visit to the ruins was great. Our guide gave us some nice history then we had about an hour to explore the ruins on our own, swim in the cenote, and visit the museum and gift shop before we boarded the bus to the lunch and fiesta. The lunch was nice, although the vegetarians in the group had very limited choices. Their were dance demonstrations, songs, and a small rodeo show for us to enjoy. It was very relaxing and a nice way to enjoy the day.
    View All 37 Mayan Ruins Reviews