3. Viking Sea
This was my first cruise. I chose it primarily because it stopped at cities I wanted to see, but the ship itself and the crew made it extra memorable. My husband and I are 55-65 and in decent health/mobility but not active athletes. I had been to Barcelona in 1968 and wanted to see it again, so we booked a few extra days to explore. Our hotel was near the Ramblas and the Ciudad Market which were fun to visit on our own. Viking staff were on hand to gather up our bags and walk us through our boarding process. It was seamless. I cannot believe the wasn't a glitch in this vacation anywhere! There was not. I was especially impressed that the crew remembered my name on the first day; this skill is extremely difficult for me! I asked my room steward where I could get ice (I'm used to staying in hotels where there's an ice machine, self service) and he brought ice every single day after that. My husband Tim and I opted for the Silver Service, since we are wine lovers, and had a very lively and fun relationship with the wine steward in the dining room. See? I cannot remember her name! (I'm a stroke survivor). Dining was wonderful! Small portions were great! to make up for the all you can eat breakfast where I enjoyed the chocolate croissants. We were only on the ship for lunch a few times since we took advantage of shore excursions whenever we could. My husband and I were amazed/charmed/intrigued by the shore excursions. We didn't always take the same one. I especially liked Algiers since I had been there in 1968 s a teen. The casbah was fascinating and we were amused by the police escort and the locals who clapped and cheered for our bus. Our guide was articulate and well educated in history and culture. The port of Tunisia was fun with the camels and falconry guys at the port. We had an issue with a tour in Barcelona. When I told Guest Services about it, our fees were refunded. I was impressed that in almost every city there were Roman ruins, sometimes mixed right in with modern buildings. Entertainment on board was low-key which was fine. Travel in winter did not allow for use of the pool. Our cabin was extremely comfy. Bed better than ours at home. Lots of plugs for computers, charging phones, and our CPAP machines. Warm floor in the bathroom was nice! The veranda might get more use in the summer. We spent most of our after-dinner time in one of the many lounges listening to lectures or music. We will take another cruise to Scandanavia/Russia/Scotland, hopefully in 2019.

I Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven

Viking Sea Cruise Review by CarolMcE

The port of Tunisia was fun with the camels and falconry guys at the port.

We will take another cruise to Scandanavia/Russia/Scotland, hopefully in 2019.
CarolMcE’s Full Rating Summary