3. Celebrity Equinox
I read with great interest any and all reviews of Celebrity Equinox leading up to our cruise, so I thought I would give my review following our 10 night voyage on March 3 - 13, 2017. My husband and I have only been on a handful of cruises, but Equinox had both the longest embarkation and debarkation. We always try to get to the port early (arrived at 10:30) as it’s usually easy to get on quickly. Not with Equinox. We were ushered to a large seating area (oh let me rephrase - the area was large - the seats were crammed together) where we waited for approximately an hour before boarding. We had a sunset veranda, (aft) 7364, which has the larger (wider) balcony. The walk to the cabin from the elevators/stairs is an approximate 2 to 3 minute brisk walk. It may not sound like much, but over the course of a day doing this several times, it may be an issue for anyone who has difficulty getting around. Not to mention, if you choose self debarkation and take your luggage with you, that can be a challenge (and it WAS) getting the luggage down the long hallways, and then attempting to catch an elevator. Poor hubby had to take the two larger suitcases down 2 flights of stairs since we couldn’t get one. And let me tell you they were chock full of all the clothes we packed but never wore. The sunset veranda was nice, but I will say that the wake is quite loud when the sliding glass door is open. Other than that, the cabin was extremely quiet. Our cabin steward was very nice and did an excellent job tidying the room twice a day. I asked him if we could get foot stools for the balcony - he came back with 2 shower stools - YES!! Fellow passengers - Celebrity is renowned for almost exclusively adults on board, we saw very few children, although it wasn’t a school break. There were many older folks on board (God bless them for having the energy to travel - it can be exhausting! In a good way! OK sometimes a bad way!) (but it doesn’t help when American Airlines cancels your flight and gives no reason!) (Which is why we always fly out the day before the cruise.) There was also a large contingent (I heard 700) of a “club” of sorts, they had different seminars and get togethers going on throughout each day. It was apparently a self-improvement sort of club. The Equinox has many different seating places and nooks around the ship. Lots of cushiony chairs/loungers. Our weather wasn’t very good for the first several days and the ship was rocking, 24/7. Extreme wind, clouds, some rain. That definitely cut into our enjoyment. We will stick to 7 days. Ok, onward. So the food is delicious. We did the Main Dining Room the first two nights only, and the last night we went to Sushi on 5. Very good. Otherwise, we just went to the buffet. We can’t eat huge dinners every night. Gastropub we visited one night just for their beers, cute little place, but as we have found on other cruises, the bartenders really don’t seem too happy to be there. They were however a little friendlier at the other bars… Mast bar, Sunset bar. We never did make it to the Martini Bar. Not that the bartender makes or breaks my cruise, but come on. I will say the rest of the crew is very friendly and professional. We did go to The Tenors of Rock show, not bad. The guys can sing, it was just a little cheesy. We also saw Jane Currie, she has a great voice and sense of humor. She’s a gem. We also attended a show of broadway songs. We left after the first 10 minutes. Not that they didn’t have great voices, but just not our cup of tea. Excursions - first port was St. Thomas - we went to Magen’s Bay, we took an open air taxi “bus” for $10 pp each way. Magen’s Bay is beautiful, despite the crowds and the weather which was so so. The water was rough as we were still in the bizarro wind storm that lasted days. DAYS. Even the crew said they have never seen it like that for such duration. Next day was St. Kitts. We got off the ship and walked to the shopping area. The ship had warned not to pet the monkeys people had or take a picture or their handler will charge you…plus they may bite. The monkeys, not the handler. I think. Cute little things though. The monkeys. We stopped at a bar and had $2 island beers, so good. We chatted with a couple of lovely ladies from the UK who were on a different cruise, and that was a blast, how often do you get to talk to people from the other side of the pond? We covered a lot of issues in 45 minutes too! Oh btw Princess Kate isn’t called Princess Kate over there. She is the Duchess of York or something. They don’t see as impressed as you would think with her. Or the Royal family. Hmmm our media - they sure make them sound AMAZING. Next up, Barbados. We had purchased a Beach Break excursion through the cruise to Harbour Lights where they provide one drink and a lounge chair and umbrella. Beautiful beach. What beach isn’t? Busy. But good excursion choice. The restaurant was right there to purchase anything else. Ok last port was St. Maarten, our favorite island. We did an overnight there, which may sound pretty cool but actually you get in at 4pm the first day and I don’t know about you but I didn’t want to be out after dark so we did a quick water taxi ride over to the beach area and had a bite to eat then walked back. Took about 20 minutes. Water taxi is $7 pp round trip. Love the water taxi. The next morning we hightailed it back over so we could get to the beach which is right near the shopping area. We rented two lounge chairs, umbrella and bucket of beer (5) for $25. Despite being the only ship in port the beach was still very busy. But gorgeous. So we had 2 sea days in the beginning (WIND RAIN WHERE’S THE SUN) and two sea days at the end of the cruise - oh THERE’S THE SUN NOW THAT OUR CRUISE IS ALMOST OVER. One thing I have realized - I had this idea that a newer ship might make the cruise even more fun - you know what, it doesn’t. It’s all about the itinerary, and seeing the SUN doesn’t hurt either. We took kids on Majesty of the Seas last year for a 3 day Bahamas cruise, and that is an old ship - but it didn’t matter. Still beautiful, and we had a fantastic time. So, I guess my advice is, go for your itinerary first. So, debarkation. As I said we did self debarkation - which means you don’t put your luggage out the night before, you take it with you. Oh we thought we were so smart getting downstairs before the 7:30am self debarkation - ohhh we are silly. Nope, everyone else thought that too. We got in line, and waited. And waited. Moved, and waited. The wait was probably about an hour before we were able to go through customs. And quite a walk once it got moving. So, if you have difficulty getting around, do not do self debarkation.

Helpful Review of Celebrity Equinox