3. Nieuw Amsterdam
I really liked all the people on the boat!! staff and other passengers. It's definitely an "older crowd" as most other reviews say; but if you're a couple with kids (and you can leave them with grandparents; or ex spouses) this is a fantastic boat to be on. Loved the happy hour (wish it was in more then just 2 bars) and the upper decks on 11 and 12 are the place to read and tan and just enjoy the hum of the engines!!! Not too many people up there; since the elevators don't go up that far. I really enjoyed all the art work and the elevator where you can see outside while going up/down. Was NOT impressed with the 2 (pubic) hairs I found in tub upon arrival; also our duvet cover had brown spots all over it. We asked for breakfast to be delivered @ 630-7 and they were usually there early. Also one morning they forgot the coffee mugs :( The lido is ok as far as food options. But the most disappointing thing on this ship for me was the main dining room; I only went twice; but from what I heard it wasn't great on the other nights either. I felt like they were looking more for "presentation" then quality. Also the pizza place was pretty good; and the burger joint should be open at least until 7pm!! I did love the food @ the pinnacle grill; but I shouldn't have to pay "extra" to get a good meal. Loved the balcony; but there really should be 2 "comfy" chairs. One was comfy; but the other one wasn't. All in all really liked this ship and would take it again in the future. Need another hot tub or 2 the ones they have are really small. Also more shows and night life would be great for those of us that are younger.

GREAT for relaxation; not great food

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by crowsnesthhgal

• Sail Date: March 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
crowsnesthhgal’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VA 8110
So glad we got the balcony! there is a speaker up by the headboard but we never could hear out of it for the captains morning addresses; we always had to open hallway door.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins