Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by topdog11

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I always wanted to do a full transit of the Panama Canal. The Jewel was sailing on the dates of my 45 anniversary, so that is why we picked NCL Jewel. I usually sail with Royal and Carnival.

The Jewel built in 2004 and went into dry dock 2014 if I remember correctly. The ship is showing it's age. I can not say if it was because of the length of the cruise, the average age of the passengers, or what but I didn't find much to do on this ship. If you are under 40 and are used to Carnival and Royal Caribbean, you will not like this ship. It is NOT a party ship.

We ate at three of the specialty resturants. Cagney's Steak house, the steak was decent, but the sides sucked. Sorry no other word for it. Modero, which is a Brazilian steakhouse was great. The Teppanyaki Room, a Japanese restaurant was maybe average.

The buffet food was pretty tasty, but not much verity over the course of 14 days. Luckily I love rice cause that was the number one side every day. Everyday they had BBQ out by the pools. This was great.

The excursions were okay. My favorite was Cabo where we did whale watching from a zodiac. I liked Cabo enough that I am planning a week there. I was very disappointed in Acapulco cliff divers. It was so crowded that I never saw a diver hit the water. But, NCL was very understanding and refunded half the cost of the excursions.

The reason for this cruise was the Canal and recommend that everyone should experience it.

topdog11's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

The cabin was a balcony, on deck 9, the last starboard cabin all the way aft. Cabin was your normal balcony cabin. One thing I did like was the bathrooms. The shower was larger than any shower that I had on any cruise line and the tolet had a door to shut it off from the rest of the bathroom. Our cabin steward was great. Did a wonderful job keeping our room up. Friendly without be intrusive. Beds were not as comfortable as some I've had, but not as bad as others. I loved having a coffee pot in my room.

Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas

Just okay.

View All 48 Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas Reviews
Fort San Diego

Great history.

View All 6 Fort San Diego Reviews
Quebrada Cliff Divers

Too crowded didn't see a thing.

View All 28 Quebrada Cliff Divers Reviews
Whale Watching

Favorite excursion of this cruise.

View All 90 Whale Watching Reviews