• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

topdog11
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Feb 2017
Cabin: Balcony

I always wanted to do a full transit of the Panama Canal. The Jewel was sailing on the dates of my 45 anniversary, so that is why we picked NCL Jewel. I usually sail with Royal and Carnival.

The Jewel built in 2004 and went into dry dock 2014 if I remember correctly. The ship is showing it's age. I can not say if it was because of the length of the cruise, the average age of the passengers, or what but I didn't find much to do on this ship. If you are under 40 and are used to Carnival and Royal Caribbean, you will not like this ship. It is NOT a party ship.

We ate at three of the specialty resturants. Cagney's Steak house, the steak was decent, but the sides sucked. Sorry no other word for it. Modero, which is a Brazilian steakhouse was great. The Teppanyaki Room, a Japanese restaurant was maybe average.

Balcony

The cabin was a balcony, on deck 9, the last starboard cabin all the way aft. Cabin was your normal balcony cabin. One thing I did like was the bathrooms. The shower was larger than any shower that I had on any cruise line and the tolet had a door to shut it off from the rest of the bathroom. Our cabin steward was great. Did a wonderful job keeping our room up. Friendly without be intrusive. Beds were not as comfortable as some I've had, but not as bad as others. I loved having a coffee pot in my room.

Port Reviews

Miami

Did not take an excursion here.

Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)

Did not take an excursion here.

10 Helpful Vote