3. Nieuw Amsterdam
We had enjoyed a one week eastern Caribbean cruise with Holland America a couple of years ago and decided to treat ourselves to a back to back eastern and western cruise this year . The first week in the Western Caribbean was very good and I particularly enjoyed the stop in Key West. One of the elements that we enjoyed the first week was the open dining when we could arrive at the dining room any time between 5:00 and 9:00. We enjoyed dinning with different folks each night at a time that fit in with our day. On the second week we were not pleased to be suddenly informed when we arrived for dinner on Sunday evening that the dining room was closed in order to provide seating for a large group (1000 people) and this would be the situation for the remainder of the cruise. This is where Holland America truly dropped the ball on customer service. The front line staff were just as surprised as the passengers that this was going to be the arrangement for the dining room so they did not have any answers for us. The customer service staff that should have been available to resolve the issue were nowhere to be found. I asked a couple of times to speak with people in authority and received no response. I understand that folks that took more time than I did out of my holiday time did actually speak with someone but all that was offered was limp apology and certainly no action was taken to address our concerns. Even folks who were 5 Star Mariners were treated very poorly in an effort to accommodate the large group. I realize that not getting dinner at the time that suited us was really a first world problem but as the cruise went on and there was no response to my concerns I was wondering what would have been the response of the staff if there had been a serious issue to be addressed. The Dining Debacle became a constant point of conversation with other passengers that we met. I understand that this group regularly books with Holland America so beware you could be on the same kind of trip. I did complete the electronic survey that Holland America sent me when I returned home highlighting my concern with the poor customer service and indicated I would be willing to discuss the problems. I have not had any response. We did enjoy the time away from winter and the ports of call were nice to visit. Our cabin staff were very attentive and did a very good job of taking care of us. I will not choose Holland America again, there are other cruise lines and other winter warm weather vacation choices that I will certainly consider in the future.

Holland Dropped the Customer Service Ball

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by WinterFun54

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

This is where Holland America truly dropped the ball on customer service.

WinterFun54’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VC
Cabin accommodations were fine. For the two weeks of back to back cruise there was enough space and the balcony was large enough to sit and enjoy.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins