Not the ship for me: Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by mickeychicky

Overall Member Rating

Not the ship for me

Sail Date: March 2017
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
Just got off Epic 3/11/17.....good and bad, but doubt I will ever sail again on it.

Port Canaveral check in process - there were two people checking ID's and cruise documents downstairs/outside the actual terminal. TWO checking in 4,000 people. And then one lady decided she was going to abandon her line to go help an elderly man that fell on the escalator, instead of letting the four other employees take care of the situation. So that left our line with nobody to check our ID's and cruise documents. Someone had to actually "suggest" to the other employee about alternating people from each line so we could ALL get thru security. Hmmm, someone had to actually suggest that. Anyway moving on....

Security check - went much quicker and out of the 5 cruises I have been on my sealed, packaged 6 pack of Zephyrhills water was confiscated, so don't try even try it. The water on the boat, Evian, is $6.50 a bottle, and there is no "free" bottled water More like on RCCL. Only the stuff that is in the large water dispensers you'll find around the bars. Yes, I am aware that no outside beverages are allowed, however, I have managed to bring my own water on every cruise and get thru security without an issue.

Checking in - no problem there, seemed to go quickly.

Casino - if you like to gamble, I prefer slots but they have quite a bit of tables. 90% of the slot machines are pennies, which I don't do. I think I found literally about 7 quarter machines and the rest $1 and $5. And the selection of machines, terrible.

Food - good selection, better than the THREE RCCL cruises I have been on and never had an issue with food running out and people waiting around for it to be refilled, as I did on Oasis of the Seas. We ate at the Noodle Bar, no complaints. There are also food stations set up outside the buffet area where you enter the pool area on Deck 15. There is a food station at Spice H2O. There is O'Sheehan's which has a very limited menu and was ALWAYS packed. Don't do the whole dining room or specialty dining thing so I can't comment on that. On both NCL cruises I have been on I have never found anyplace where you can get a quick cup of coffee or snacks that are free, like at the Cafe' Promenade on RCCL's. NCL has the Atrium Café where everything is for a $$. And there is NO complimentary coffee set up on the counter.

I did learn that NCL charges "tax" on your drinks while still in port (don't know about the food). We had beverage packages and were surprised to see all the charges on my account that night when I checked. And before anyone gets in an uproar about this and how "in FL there is a sales tax that is mandatory...blah, blah, blah" I am very aware of the sales tax in this state, I have lived here my entire life. HOWEVER, this being my 5th cruise and 2nd on Norwegian, I have never been charged sales tax on any alcoholic drink I have consumed while in port. And I still have all my previous cruise statements to prove that. And they also charge sales tax on their island, Great Stirrup Cay, again another shocker since RCCL Coco Cay is directly across from this island and they DO NOT charge sales tax on their island. Go figure.

We did enjoy the two shows we saw, Priscilla Queen of the Desert (not a kids show at all), and Burn the Floor.

Glow Party - ehhhh. I felt like I was on a non-stop rerun of the Jersey Shore with the techno fist-pumping music that they played. Every song sounded exactly the same.

So, there you go. Would I cruise Epic again? Most likely not. I enjoyed Oasis of the Seas much better. I will also add, the NCL crew is much friendlier that RCCL. Everyone acknowledges you with a Good Morning or a Hello. That never gets old. Less

Published 03/13/17

Cabin review: IF Inside

Onboard - the ship seemed a bit more confusing to get around for me, especially the cabin situation. Odd's on one side, Even on the other. Inside cabins in the middle of the Odd's and Even's. We had in interior cabin. A lot of storage! Large closet with shelves AND hanging racks on the inside of one of the doors. Three drawers. Little cubby's around the tv area and the mirror above the sink opens up to even more shelves (which we didn't discover until day 2). BATHROOM - uhhhhh not for me. I'm sure you are aware of the whole toilet/shower being separated. Terrible idea. When someone wants to use the bathroom in the middle of the night the light inside the bathroom area illuminates the whole room (even with a curtain) and the door opening and closing, which is glass and heavy, squeaks a lot and so there is no quiet bathroom breaks. Not to mention, being surrounded by just glass pretty much amplifies EVERY sound in the bathroom.

Read All Inside (IF) Reviews >>

Needs improvement. Food was very good. Island is too small for a large ship like Epic.

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Bahamas Cruises