3. Jewel of the Seas
Royal Caribbean is one of my favorite cruise lines, and this trip did not disappoint. Well, maybe just a little in the food category, but other than that is was great. This, our fourth RCCL cruise and first Jewel of the Seas cruise, confirmed to me why I love RCCL. The ship was spotless, stem to stern. The crew was excellent. Our room was great and I'd do it over again tomorrow. Review details: Ports of call - This was our first southern Caribbean cruise and we loved all the ports, especially St. Lucia and Barbados. Excursions - we did the Catamaran, snorkel and beach on St. Kitts. Excellent. We did the scenic tour (A/C motor coach) on Barbados and although mostly 60+ were on it, I'd do it if I were 25. Very informational and educational. On St. Lucia we did the Sourfriere by Spanish Galleon and it was awesome!! Food - I always remind myself that a cruise ship serves banquet food; large volumes of people with set menu and no options (or very limited changes possible). They are cranking out thousands of meals a day, not creating and serving dishes one order at a time for each patron. The food was a little less quality than the Oasis with a couple of nights that were excellent and a couple that were just good (example-fried fish coating was kind of soggy and tough from sitting under a lid for too long with moisture killing the coating). Order your prime rib rare to get it medium rare, but that is almost always the case. Lobsters were a bit small, but tasty and of course you can have two...or three ;^). Chicken Marsala was OK, but I am a marsala nut and think Carrabba's makes some of the best!!! Premium coffee at the kiosk was usually very good. Fresh squeezed OJ was great. Drinks were made well most all the time. I got the deluxe beverage package for $38/day (it's $55 on the ship, often less than that and changes on the RCCL website. Be patient and then order at cheaper price). Windjammer was great. Cabin - we were deluxe balcony room 8156. Room was great. Steward was quiet, not one who we connected with, but did his job well. Amenities - pool/whirlpool/solarium was great, clean and plenty of room. I know people often claim there isn't enough room, or it is packed. But that is not true. If you plan ahead a little, there is always room. Ping pong was great. Shuffleboard was fun. Embarkation and disembarkation - was a breeze. We do the early out carry your own and love it. Entertainment - this is the only area I had real issues with on this cruise. The Elton John impersonator was excellent, but other than that there wasn't really anything that appealed to us. This is a departure from the usual RCCL cruises we've been on. Disappointing. I think personally I'd do the Oasis again next time. I like the larger ships. Jewel was great, had a wonderful time and because we shopped well, we got our balcony for $900 per person total (all taxes/fees/etc. included). We shopped a couple of places and ended up purchasing from an online travel consolidator and had a great experience (they also gave us a $125 room credit as an unexpected bonus). Some people can be overly picky in their reviews. I have no problem picking out issues, but when I compare what I got to what I expected, it was a great cruise!!

Enjoyable all-around

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by The Original Panama Jack

Review details:

The Original Panama Jack’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas price drops

Excellent room. No issues.
  Jewel of the Seas Deck Plans