3. Celebrity Millennium
I picked this cruise as it was going to places in Asia I had always intended to go.. sometime.. and had never got around to getting there. I feel a cruise is a perfect way to see a little of the land and culture so that I can decide where and for how long I would like to go if I did a land trip. I loved it all. Maybe, I have now seen enough Temples for a while but I will be back to all areas for land based holidaying in the future. I had never travelled Celebrity prior, my loyalty has been with Carnival, as I have top status and get a few freebies with them, however the destinations won me over and I am happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had read many reviews about how this ship was not up to standards and food was lousy. Having spent nearly a month on the Queen Mary February 2016, I would rate this ship as comparable, without the undue stuffiness. My husband and I got off the Queen Mary and said it was not for us until we are 20 years older. (We are young in mind if not in body) The Millenniem had a good feeling about it, some people dressed up for evenings, other didn't. It suited us to wear after 5 as I like the glamour, but it was not compulsory and there was a fair mix of outfits. There always seemed to be something to do, even after 10.30 at night (On the Queen Mary we had felt like naughty children that hadn't gone to bed like everyone else after 10.30 at night) there were also places to dance together, without feeling you had to be an excellent dancer. ( the ballroom of the Queen Mary was very intimidating ) The food was good considering the price point of this cruise, We have had better, we also have paid a lot more to travel. The wine service was a little lacking, which surprised me, as we didn't have a drink package, I thought they would be rushing to sell the overpriced wines, and the compulsory 18 % gratuity on all bar service is a joke.. I believe in tipping for good service. not just for service. the prices should just reflect the extra as it does not go directly to the wine sommelier anyway. I liked the anytime dinning, and despite not having the same waiter we always seemed to be placed on a very enjoyable table. The entertainment was good, seems to be pretty much the same whatever ship you are on. It did however cater for a range of tastes with shows from concert pianist to comedy club acts with illusionist in between. Our Stateroom was good, kept very clean and had heaps of storage.. the bathroom products provided we very average and I would suggest take your own. Our cabin steward was very attentive and we always had at least 4 fresh towels waiting everytime we left the room, and a constant supply of ice. Close to the best service received on a ship. others told us they we not so lucky and some had experienced big problems with the plumbing. We were very fortunate. I have experienced vertigo after being on ships and have found I am not affected if I sleep head-toe length of the ship, not across it. I tried to find out prior to booking what the bed placement was in individual cabins and was unsuccessful, however after contacting Celebrity I was assured that the bed arrangement could be moved around to suit my needs, When I got on the ship the bed was facing the wrong way, after advising the cabin steward about my problem we left the room to go to lunch, when we returned the room layout had been turned around. once again excellent service., my only criticism of the room was it was a little noisy.. but you get what you pay for and we were on a lower deck. Our cruise began with an overnight stay in Hong Kong on the ship, we flew in a few days earlier and had intended to just get on board and stay put until Vietnam, How wrong we were, so many things to do and see in Hong Kong, we embarked smoothly and quickly and then got off the ship do a little more sightseeing and did not return after midnight, Most of the other ports were a long way from anywhere due to the size of the ship, and to get to major towns there was often several hours of travel. As I had never been before I had arranged to do private small group tours from all ports with fellow passengers found on the cruise critic roll call.. This was very successful for the majority of tours, unfortunately illness did got through the ship and some groups were very small. I found it to be a very affordable way to sight see with local guides giving some excellent in-site into the day to day lives of their countryman, and being in a small group it gave us the ability to rearrange the itinerary according to group consensus especially as we did get temple overload. If I have seen one golden budda I have now seen one thousand.. Halong Bay was great we took a tour on the bay for 8 hours and spent the next day exploring the local town/markets shops. There is a cable car and the world highest Ferris wheel. It is only open after 3pm weekdays. We made the mistake of not going the first day thinking we could go up next morning prior to the ship leaving at 1pm. We will have to do it next time. For Chan May ,We decided to go to Denang and Hoi An via Seacloud Pass. the view was magnificient. the bunkers interesting, .Marble Mountain and the glass elevator is a must do, just don't get conned into buying marble at the first place you visit. There are so many areas and stories, please take a guide, we used Tommy tours and it excellent, the guide showed us many things that we would have either missed or not understood, including receiving blessing in the holly water that drips down. Our guide had been in the Vietnam war and told us so much history from the south Vietnams point of view, The next tour we did was Saigon and the guide there was from Smiles tours, he was young and it was interesting about his view of the war from a communist upbringing. There we visited the war museum and I can say I was shocked at the presentation on the war. 2 days 2 entirely different viewpoints. We did most of the tourist must dos including a few temples and a silk embroidery factory, were very tired at the end of the day. We fortunately had a couple of relaxing sea days before reaching Thailand. There we went to Bangkok on the first day and saw temples, the Grand Palace temples, the opera house, temples, the flower market and more temples. I admit I have got the names and features mixed up and need my thousands of photos to help with my memory. Every temple was beautiful, every temple was different. The next day we went to feed the monkeys, then an elephant sanctuary followed by visiting the Sanctuary of Truth. This is a beautifully carved wooden temple overlooking the sea. It is huge and has many carved statues, there were also elephants here and I recommend at least an hour here with a guide that can tell you the stories and history. Our cruise finished with a night in Singapore, which we extended for 4 days and we still felt we needed more time.

Hong Kong to Singapore

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by richjudy

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: Asia

If I have seen one golden budda I have now seen one thousand..

richjudy’s Full Rating Summary