3. American Queen
We picked this cruise because it had a swing dance band. The band members were each outstanding musicians and wonderful to listen to, but this was not a dancers band. Some songs went 8 minutes or were jazz pieces that were hard to dance to. The floor was crowded for the one waltz played-but they never played another waltz that night. It was crowded for danceable swing numbers-but band played far too few. Far better to have a good DJ with a play list of popular dance tunes. What was good: The food-variety, quality, portions, presentations all excellent. The cafe is open 24/7 which is wonderful for early birds and night owls alike. The dining room is noisy. The entertainment was mixed. All musicians were excellent. Phil plays piano well, but has long stories that were largely uninteresting and a very poor voice. There was nothing opposite him-which was most unfortunate-but I state the scheduling was poor on this ship. The shipboard dancers and singers were outstanding. My favorite was the Broadway Show tunes and dances. Costuming stunning and amazing! Needed: More dance hosts. With an elderly crowd of 2 women who wanted to dance for every man, line dancing lessons should have been offered on a dance cruise. I am a college dance instructor-who offered to teach line dance for free. They gave me my choice of a poor floor or poor times at the show lounge-missing some shore time. The scheduling on this ship was rather poor and unresponsive to the passengers needs. My group of 13 wanted to dance every night. Dancing was put on from 9:30-10:30 pm. and only 2/3 (at first only 1/2) the dance floor was opened up for dancing. One man changed the concert venue to a dance floor-it took him a full hour to do this. If 5 organized men-could have been done in under 10 minutes with far more dance time-even if to canned music. This is a great cruise for those over 75 years old. At 64, I am sooooo glad I did not try to take this cruise earlier in my life-wished I waited another 10 years. Everything happens slowly in this part of the world. They talk slow, react slow, move slow, do everything slowly. Also Internet is not always available-was down 14 hours one day, and you must constantly reboot and start over. Too few activities, no fitness activities-with a fitness center that consists of a couple exercize bikes and weights. The pool is small, laundry room inadequate for needs-but it is free which is delightful.

American Queen

American Queen Cruise Review by DonnaFrankel

What was good:

Needed: More dance hosts.

DonnaFrankel’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Queen price drops

Cabin was clean, beds small but comfortable. Plenty of towels, etc. Wrap around deck meant plenty of traffic outside your door. Glad I am not very overweight or on a longer cruise. The cabins are small and would be hard to put 2 weeks of clothing away. Every inch of the cabin is decorated and the period themes are throughout this ship in the common rooms and beautiful decor.