Carnival Paradise Cruise Review

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by Gymnastgurl5659

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Porthole

I chose this cruise specifically for the Grand Cayman port. 5 days, departing out of tampa, two ports. Sounds great! Two days before departure, I received an email that the Grand Cayman port had been cancelled due to technical issues with the ship's speed capability. The port was replaced with Costa Maya. Even though I was disappointed, I have been to the Costa Maya port with a prior Carnival cruise and enjoyed it. However, we never got to go to Costa Maya. The swells were deemed too large for us to debark at Costa Maya. Rather than going back to the Cozumel port (30 min away allegedly) or another port, it was decided that another "fun day at sea" would be added to the itinerary instead. Carnival gave us $13 back for the "Port fees" that were not spent since we never docked at a second port. I brought a friend who had never been on a cruise before and this was a nightmare of an experience. I was so embarrassed that I had given her such high expectations of a cruise experience. There were so many people on the cruise who were seasick. I too, have been on multiple cruise ships and multiple cruise lines and have never experienced the bouts of motion sickness that occurred on this trip. Our drink glasses were sliding across the table at dinner! While I understand that Carnival cannot be responsible for mother nature, one can only wonder if the ship's speed had anything to do with feeling the excessive motion due to a slower speed.

As though things could not get worse, on the fourth day, brown water was coming out of people's water in their cabin. Parts of the cruise ship reeked of fecal matter and sewage! The shower and the sink had brown water! This resulted in the water lines being cut off for a couple of hours! That evening, I showered, and I now have green hair! They must have "shocked" the water with chlorine because I had not smelled the chlorine or had green tinted hair for any of the prior four days and then all of a sudden the ends of my hair were green!

While the cabin was bigger in comparison to other cruise ships I have been on, keep in mind there is ONE outlet for charging/plugging in hair tools, etc.

The entertainment was sub par, all based on 70, and 80s rock and roll. One of the shows the cast members didn't even dance they just sat on stools. They said it was because the ship was rocking too much!

The dining experience was ok. Food was ok each night. But, don't order the creme brûlée! It was not edible! Hard as a rock in the middle! Wrong consistency. Just not good.

The only good thing about the cruise was getting off the ship in Cozumel and renting a Jeep for the day. We went to a couple of different beaches and shops and restaurants and had a great time that day, but spending $500 per person on a cruise just to go to Cozumel and turn around and go back! NOT WORTH IT. I expressed my displeasure with Carnival corporate office and the representative told me that no compensation would be offered. I think it is despicable and will not use Carnival Cruise Line again in the future.

Gymnastgurl5659's Full Rating Summary

Porthole
Cabin PT r11

One outlet in the cabin. Bed was comfortable.

Tampa

Left from the Port of Tampa simply for convenience reasons.

Chankanaab National Park Tour

Large park. Swimming areas. Beach areas/lounging areas. Free Wifi. Pool with swim up bar. Option to swim with dolphins, zip-line, etc.

View All 256 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews
Jeep Tour

Jeep had no working stereo, no rearview mirror. Seats were sopping wet and mildew was growing on the floorboards of the jeep. $113.00 for a 6 hour jeep rental of this caliber was not worth the money.

The "excursion" itself was awesome. I recommend renting a car and driving around the city on your own to get a taste of everything at one's own leisure.

View All 166 Jeep Tour Reviews
Costa Maya

Did not get to attend this port due to Carnival cancellation.

Gymnastgurl5659