3. Disney Fantasy
We decided to cruise Disney as we were taking our son, his wife and our 5 year old grandson. This is a long post but I want to include everything I can think of. First of all, I need to state that this was our first cruise ever. We concluded that cruising is not our first choice - we love all-inclusive resorts. With that being said, Disney set the bar pretty high and I'm not sure we would ever find the service or the cleanliness on any other ship. They cater to kids for sure - that's what Disney is about - but we as adults also received exemplary service. The SHIP: This ship is beautiful. The grand staircase in the atrium, the décor, lighting, restaurants. The attention to detail is unmet. I think there were 3000 guests and 1400 crew ??. Our stateroom: We were on deck 7 and had two connecting rooms. Our balconies also were connecting which gave us more space so we could all be outside at the same time. We had a double bathroom - one had toilet/sink and the other had shower/tub/sink. Huge plus! The toiletries provided are the good stuff they sell in one of their shops on the ship. Wonderful stuff!! We had plenty of storage. Double closet (separate). There is also storage above the desk area. The bed sits high enough to provide storage for your luggage. We just used our luggage to store our dirty clothing. The drawers close by themselves. Nice! We had the same room steward the entire cruise. He did an awesome job. Constantly refreshing towels and cleaning. Different animals made out of a blanket every night along with Ghirardelli chocolates. Special touches. The adjoining room had a bunk bed above the couch that the steward put down at night for our grandson. He even put Cars themed sheets on the bed for him. Again the special touches. What can I say! Food/Dining: We had the later dining option which worked out great for us. It allowed our grandson to take a late afternoon nap so he was ready for the show/dinner in the evening. We took advantage of the dining rotation every evening...it's your choice. They do have the buffet open as well. Our servers followed us each night. They were amazing. We interacted with them more than anyone else on the cruise. Our grandson felt like a prince. I think they took to him as we were fortunate to have some extra attention at the end of every dinner. They work some very long days but always have a smile. Saying "see you next time" was very difficult at breakfast on the last morning. They even took time out to come and see him at Castaway Cay. Such special memories we have. The food was amazing. Serving that many people at a sit down dinner is quite a challenge and they do it very well. They remember your drink preferences. They cut up our grandson's salad every night. Puzzles and magic. We had breakfast at the buffet every morning. Nice selection but not as elaborate as the all-inclusive resorts we've been to. We also had lunch at the buffet some days as well as the other included food venues on the pool deck - pizza, sandwiches/fries, fruit, wraps, salad, cookies. You could help yourself to soft service ice cream pretty much any time - pool deck. There were two beverage stations with soda, water, ice, coffee on both sides of the pool deck. It was nice to be able to fill up our own water bottles vs. having to pay for bottled water. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants so I can't comment. There was a coffee/pastry shop on the pool deck but I didn't even go inside. Pools: I would say Disney has done a good job of offering different options. The main pool area consists of a wading pool and another small pool that's deeper. So overcrowded most of the time. There seemed to be plenty of chairs but people do save them in the morning even though signs are posted that it's not allowed. For those who like quiet, there are options...adult only areas. The "pools" are not large but they were not overcrowded so it was nice to be able to get away from the chaos for a bit if you wanted to read or take a little nap. The crew was constantly cleaning. Life vests for the little ones are provided. We brought one from home but didn't need it. The Aquaduck was a hit. The line could be very long. There was also a Mickey slide for the kids who weren't tall enough to go on the Aquaduck. Cleanliness: The BEST crew ever! They handed out wipes at dinner every night and as you walked into the buffet. The restrooms were constantly being cleaned. They encourage using extra paper towels to open the doors as you exit but more often than not there was a crew member manning the door. Everything was spotless - inside and out. We were in awe at the level of cleaning that takes place while the ship is at port. The ship looks new. That is not an easy task. Shows/Activities: The shows were awesome! The talented staff is in every production. Very professional and the special effects are the best. They work hard. The activities staff and cruise director work very hard to make sure there is plenty to choose from in regards to shows and activities. Our grandson didn't take part in many of the activities. Character signing of course but not the organized stuff. He did spend about 45 minutes in the kids club. That was one thing we really didn't take advantage of. Themed events such as Pirate Night and Star Wars Day at Sea - people really get into dressing up. You can go as simple or as extravagant as you want. Anything goes. I had found a Luke Skywalker costume after Halloween on clearance...should have been looking for a pirate costume as well. I did find a hat right before we left so our grandson wore that along with the bandana that is provided to every guest. Alcohol: Disney allows one six-pack of beer or two bottles of wine per adult guest to be brought on the ship once boarding and you can do the same at each port. We brought on initially but didn't purchase anymore during the cruise. We found that the deals for alcohol were not that great in the ports. Alcohol on the ship is not inexpensive. My husband and son purchased the beer mug and could have it refilled for the cost of a smaller size. The drink of the day was always very good and less expensive. During dinner specialty drinks were also on the menu for an additional charge. Shopping: There are several gift shops on the cruise with a nice selection of merchandise. Castaway Cay also has shops with different merchandise. Ports: We ported at Tortola, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. Unfortunately a huge NCL ship was following the same route as us so the port was very crowded. St. Thomas had three ships in that day. Tortola was rather disappointing. It's a newer port with nothing close. We walked off the ship and took one of the open air taxi buses. It wasn't a rough ride but they drive fast and it's up and down the hillside. Lots of short curves, etc. The taxis there are in rougher condition in comparison to St. Thomas. The beach we went to was overcrowded. Had to pay $5 per beach chair and $5 for umbrella. The taxi cost us $8/person each way so was not cheap. But what do you do. Nothing to do within walking distance of the ship. St. Tomas was better. We had actually booked an excursion consisting of snorkeling and a beach. The water was ROUGH on our way to snorkeling destination. I increased my motion sickness meds (I was wearing patches and added Bonine). There were other boats in the same area we were. Too crowded to be snorkeling in fairly rough water. The beach we ended up at was rocky where the catamaran anchored. Very difficult to walk. Further down the beach was better. No chairs. I cannot sit on the beach without a chair so that was disappointing. St. Thomas has quite a few shops at the pier as well as a Senor Frogs. We stopped there and had some drinks and a couple of appetizers. $$$$$$$ for what you got - I had heard that previously but we've never been there. The food quality was ??? and the price was over the top for the quantity. Oh well!!! Castaway Cay was great - Disney owned so it was awesome of course. The water was cold...not Disney's fault! They do this well. The food was great (lunch). Any other food/beverages were additional cost. You can rent paddle boats, water trikes, snorkel equipment, etc. Gratuities: You are given gratuity slips to present to your room steward and dining staff. It's based on a specific dollar amount per person in each stateroom. Our total was almost $500 (five people) for the week. It's automatically added to your room bill. You can adjust the amount if you wish through guest services. We presented them at dinner on our last night. Other: We brought towel clips which came in handy to hold our towels, etc. to our pool chairs. When we ported, the cruise ship had a bug repellent station set up so you didn't really need to bring your own. We did have our own supply. They provided towels if you went on an excursion booked through Disney. We brought towels from our stateroom when we ported in Tortola (to take to the beach). You can purchase a few toiletry and medical items on the ship but if you want something specific, bring it with you. I had a sore throat and developed a horrid sinus infection on the ship and I really didn't find much other than cough drops. Nothing like spending a week on a ship and coming home sick. The air in the staterooms is very dry. My husband finished the book we brought for him and we were able to find him a new book from a very small selection in one of the shops. They do sell alcohol in one of the shops but you can't take it with you until you debark from the ship. No irons in the rooms. There is a laundry area on all floors I think. I did bring a portable steamer so only had to iron once. I had read there were no clocks in the rooms so we brought small ones - didn't need them. There is a blow dryer provided - in drawer in desk. You have to dry your hair in the sleeping area - not the bathroom. Be sure to use the specific plug in. Lots of people decorate their doors with magnetic Disney items. We did not take advantage of this. I had planned to in advance but ran out of time.

Magical Cruise!