Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by edzucker

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Inside

I wanted to see the Panama Canal. We have been on several jewel class NCL ships and like them. The layout of these ships works for us. I can't stand the smell of smoke and find it easy to avoid it on these ships. We sailed on the Sun a few years ago and could not stand being in the atrium (adjacent to the casino).

We dined in several specialty restaurants. The service and food were all very good with the exception of terrible service one night at La Cucina. The service in the dining rooms was also very good.

The entertainment was top notch. I really like the production shows. My favorite is La Cirque Bijou. That show is outstanding. The comedy shows were also very enjoyable.

One thing I wish NCL would address is crowd control during disembarkation at ports. When anything happens to slow down the flow of passengers the line to get off turns into a mob. It seems that it should be easy to better manage the flow of passengers (see pictures below). This problem also happened at all ports on the NCL Sun.

The shore excursions were good but overpriced. The embarkation process was very slow. At one point it was so backed up they stopped letting people into the terminal.

edzucker's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin ID 9527

Cabin was a good value but very small. I wish NCL would re-think the size of the table at the rear of the bed adjacent to the bathroom. When the beds are pushed together there is very little room between the bed and the table.

Cabo San Lucas

This was my first time here. This place was very nice. We took a boat ride to see the arches at lands end for $15 per person. This was well run and fun. We went with a recommendation from a representative on shore (not affiliated with NCL).

Quebrada Cliff Divers

We took the combo city tour and cliff divers. The cliff divers was very good. It would have been nice to have enough time to climb down the steps to get closer before the show started. The city tour was a waste of time. The bus drove down the main street and really didn't see much of anything.

View All 28 Quebrada Cliff Divers Reviews
Snorkeling

Well run excursion. Snorkeling was good (lots of fish). The water was a bit dirty.

View All 9 Snorkeling Reviews
Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

We took an excursion to Antigua that we booked ourselves. The company we used was called Go With Gus. The tour was well run and enjoyable. My only complaint was the long bus ride to get to Antigua.

Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)

We booked an excursion to see Tu Ru Bari directly. The tour was very enjoyable. We paid $85 for a tour that included lunch.

City Tour

The tour was enjoyable and included time at the old fort and a walking tour of the old city. I wish we would have had time to go into the fort. Don’t miss the animal zoo/area at the Cartagena cruise terminal.

View All 367 City Tour Reviews