3. Norwegian Sun
I wrote this as I am on. the last  days of a South America Buenos Aires  to Rio and back to BAS cruise aboard Norweigian Sun. While everybody else is enjoying the pool, music , drinks, and sunshime, I choose to take out a notepad and make cruise ship notes! Why? Am I not having fun? I am not one that has a history of 25-35 cruises under my belt, and I also do not like to rate one trip against the other, either by carrier or destination. A cruise is designed to give you maximum comfort,a taste of different locations, without unpacking or repacking your bags , as well as the option of eating  without so much as a difficult decision other than choosing off multiple menus. I will state that Norweigian has excelled at this. The amount of staff at every turn , solely there to please is amazing.the amount of cleaning and polishing  I see on the stairwells of already clean surroundings is astonishing. Great service and variations in food   in all the easy to use regular dining areas After having successfully booked tours through Indonesia last season for over 60 people over a 19 day period, I undertook to attempt this again on this trip. However, the 2 direction itinerary of this sailing did not generate much user traffic on the website wrongfully named Cruise Critic. I have written to them in the past regarding this subject with no response whatsoever. Regardless of this search engine error, my association within this roll call has been noticed by Norweigian Cruise Lines. Simplify things to say, NCL noticed my publications and my searches for others cruising on the roll call I had the opportunity to discuss this with Mr Rumi , head of hotel operations on the NCL SUN. Having been a retailer in high end products throughout my career, I really appreciated his comments. He stated at a meet and greet get together, " anything on your mind, come and tell us, let us know, and, don't wait for the last day. If there is something that you need , we can fix this for you during your trip, instead of a promise  for next time". He told me that , Norweigian takes customer feedback very seriously , and that they "NCL" is out there in the media and social networks extensivley to learn what people are saying, and / or , what they want from their trips. What a phenominal concept to be able to tailor your product as a work in process for your current and future clients. I have an inside cabin, which is roomy and fabulous. I did have a small issue the first night out and I brought this to the attention of the front desk. I have had so many follow up calls from customer services as well as from the director Ms Yahira, in search of insuring my total comfort and concern for our well being. A few years ago I had travelled on an extensive NCL Mediteranean cruise, where unfortunately there was a mixup by the booking agent, not the fault of NCL. The front counter handling of that fiasco,was far different in tone and attitude to what I am seeing today with NCL. Any one could have a bad day, or sometimes, management goals and directions do not filter down the line to those that are in direct contact with the customer, and that is unfortunate. However, today, 3 years later,  we are witness to very fine customer treatment. I see that their concerns are the customers concerns. Certainly not an afterthought, but all communications  between ship ang guests are normally via the cruise director, in this case Roberto De Pasquale Here is a consumate professional who communicates in 6 languages at least ,was so empathetic to the departing passengers, the likes of which I have never heard before, and, most important, when you talk to this man you have his attention ,he looks you in the eye as he talks, and not past you. What a pleasure. The. Music aboard. with their in house STARDUST. band, composed of just 5 players, was amazing. The talent put out by the 16-17 person troupe of dancers and singers in many languages as well as dances from many foreign cultures and styles , was exceptional. Oh, and let us not forget the WINDJAMMER piano bar, for when the shows were over. Here we had a spectacle which I will not forget for a long time. I did here an exceptional player a few years ago, Jordan Peterson on Celebrity, but this gentleman from New Zealand, had a different perspective. Beau Tahana A  piano player is an entertainer, as , behind the keys, they can produce great music.  We have been on many ships and we have heard many great ones. But, an added bonus is when they can sing as then you are adding a second dimension to the music, and therefore creating more than a concert performance But, what if you are also a comedian entertainer that sings and plays. I do not mean playing music and telling jokes I refer to a brain working in a totally different dimension and detachment from the fingers on the keys, to the interaction with the guests. Add to that charachter roster the title of animator. Now you have something we have learned to call a Beau Tahana. We do not know how or what this creature was raised on in New Zealand, but it should be bottled and sold. This man is an amaing pianist. At times during his performance there are more notes per measure coming out of 10 fingers such that it sounds like the quantity of notes off player piano paper rolls. And then , on other pieces, the quick adding of certain extra grace notes come in rapid fire like brain synapses that are so fast and musically perfect His off the cuff phone conversations with himself his conscience, his parents , or now ex girlfriend are show stoppers. The birthday tributes he spontaneously creates for individuals are  sincere and beyond hilarious. We sat through almost all his sets each night he entertained and it is amazing how throught the cruise how his popularity spread to full standing room by midnight each night. He is not a piano bar crooner.  His blend of Elton John, Joe Cocker, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Orbison, in any style of play, then converted to Western , including lying on the floor playing, are amazing. We all know that when we leave his set , that we have been the greatest crowd ever. As we say in Montreal, tres Beau. All in all, this was an amazing trip, open to new locations, far different than island hopping in the Caribbean. The food was amazing , service was amazing, and I can not see any reasons for complaints, nor do I look for them. NCL.  Well done.

Fabulous

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Ellshu

• Sail Date: February 2017
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Inside

What a pleasure.

Beau Tahana

He is not a piano bar crooner.

As we say in Montreal, tres Beau.

NCL.  Well done.