Aurora Cruise Review

The friends made the cruise

Aurora Cruise Review by kimmk

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom with Bath/Shower

We have just returned from a 3 night mini break from Adelaide to Melbourne via Kangaroo Island.

The ship herself, is very dated , liked nannas house, only missing the plastic covers on the chairs !

On the positive side, there is a full length walking track on deck 7, a kettle in the cabin and the pressure in the shower is good. I also loved my balcony, sitting out there reading , listening to the waves or eating breaky was the highlight for me. The other thing that I really liked as there was not the constant pressure to buy things / sales/ spa treatments etc like I've found oppressive on the american ships. This was a standout for me, so thanks P&O , well done ! To be left in peace was much appreciated.

On the negative, my cabin was under prepared with nothing in the mini bar but crumbs from the last occupants sandwich, the shower curtain was dirty as where the windows and glass screen on the balcony, the pamper pack had items missing, there were no pool towels or dish of sweets. The TV was tiny and reception poor.

Some of the staff were fantastic, others I found were grumpy and seemed put out by even the most simple request. There seemed a lack of pride in the ship.

I wasn't expecting gourmet food, but something edible would have been nice- simple food done well, however this expectation was not met. Many of our meals were sent back. Lunch I found the most challenging, wandering around the buffet looking for something edible. The food from the pool side grill was precooked (I think the year the ship was launched) and wrapped, and the dining room served what was on the the buffet. The only nice meal we had was at the Indian restaurant which was an extra charge.

Room service breakfast is continental and very basic.

The entertainment was also disappointing. I would have really enjoyed an in house cover band.

kimmk's Full Rating Summary