We boarded the Maasdam in Sydney on 1/15/17., destination San Diego, 39 days later. The agenda was terrific; Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific Islands, Hawaii...pretty much to die for. We only missed one port in the agenda and that was due to the ship having a guaranteed passenger. Denied entry into Niue, a sparely populated island just north of Tonga. First time I ever saw that happen! The agenda provided great sightseeing, wine-tasting, onshore foods, beaches, snorkeling, whale-watching and relaxing. Couldn't ask for more ! The ship was another issue. We had many stateroom problems...see my cabin review. Maasdam is nicely decorated, clean and stable. Food was a significant issue for me, knowing full well that this is a subjective topic. I am not a fussy eater but I am discriminating. I know GOOD food from mediocre food. Maasdam served up mediocre food (at best) for the most part. I left many dishes tasted but barely touched. This applies to both the MDR and the Lido. The Pinnacle Grill wasn't much better. I hate to send food back...the Stewards are very busy and I hate to make a scene. I mentioned to our table Captain about certain dishes and his response was to "send it back and get something else". Well, if I wanted something else I would have ordered it! I wanted what I ordered (by the menu descriptive). He didn't come by our table so often after a few of those. Entertainment was a mixed bag. The production shows was generally excellent...very talented, energetic troupe...and the HAL Cats were very good. Most of the featured performers were good to very good. Exploration speakers were terrible...good subject matter but absolutely awful presenters. Most of the daily program is dedicated to selling something. Sea days were pretty boring all-in-all. The Front Desk show be renamed the Department of Defense. No one smiles behind the desk! And they don't tell the truth. What kind of training do they get? You have a problem and they treat you like YOU caused the problem. TERRIBLE! Staffing levels on Maasdam were definitely down...and if not down then insufficient. Service was spotty in all restaurants. The beverage Dept. had many problems, mostly with wines. Maasdam was out of more wines then they had on the wine list. The stewards did the best they could to offer substitutes for out-of-stock wines, but this often meant dropping down a level or two. Wines are very over-priced and the list is generally poor. Whoever is in charge of the wine list and inventory at HAL should be FIRED! The Officers aboard Maasdam are particularly anti-social,(some minor exceptions) including the top brass. Leadership in that important category is very important to customers, but, in this regard, is lacking on Maasdam. OK, that's enough from me. Form your own opinions, but I warn you to stay clear of cabin 544.

Great agenda, poor ship.

frbob’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Maasdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin DA 544
Worst cabin I've had in my considerable cruising experience. We actually boarded in Sydney on 1/15/17. This site doesn't recognize Collector's Voyages, so my comments start with Sydney. We had 3 toilet stoppages in the first 4 days followed by a toilet overflow. Our cabin was nor pleasant to be in. We slept for a night on couches in the elevator area. Then there were A/C issues. Temps in the room ranged from 67%F to 77%F WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE THERMOSTAT (aka, wall decoration). There were also water issues...temperature and gurgling noises from the pipes. The worst problem was the constant noise coming from our window...so loud as to keep me awake, even with earplugs. Maintenance couldn't fix the window noise. Every attempt made it worse. So we suffered. .I had to erect an sound-muffling screen made up of sofa cushions and pillows to soften the noise, but it did only SOME good. Early on we asked (politely, I might add) for a room change but we were not accommodated. Terrible Customer Service! AVOID Stateroom 544 (Cat. DA) on Maasdam! We had friends staying in a Lanai cabin (348) and they had significant problems with noise...not resolved until two day before disembarkation. Disgraceful!
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins