Evolution Cruise Review

Totally Amazing

Evolution Cruise Review by Magilla Gorilla

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: Galapagos

The ship was well appointed and comfortable. The crew and staff were friendly and very helpful and kind. Both the naturalists were experts at all things Galapagos. Roberto shared some family adventures which was fun to listen to. The doctor was attentive and took care of various boo boos. The food was excellent especially the ceviche. Must admit there was a lot of fish and chicken but it was well prepared and side dished were quite nice. The fruit and vegetable sculptures were very cute as well as the towel art. All the public areas were nice as was the cabin. We had picked a lower deck cabin as I was nervous about sea sickness. There were steep stairs down to it which made me extremely nervous but I managed. I could have done C deck and wished I had as sea sickness was not a problem. I did take one Dramamine a day. There were some people with patches and one or two had sea sickness problems.

The hikes were challenging. They say 'boulder strewn paths' and they weren't kidding. The rocks also would shift as you stepped on them. I fell twice and hurt shoulder once and got a gash on my shin. I was determined to do the hikes so did not let it stop me. It was HOT. I enjoyed the afternoon rest as it gave me time to get ready for the next hike.

Snorkeling was great except for one spot where the current kept shifting. The pangas are a little hard to get up into. There is a ladder but at times the panga is moving so you have to be careful. The guide and driver always helped. We did see hammerhead sharks and rays at two locations. The water can be a little murky but other areas it is clear.

There was only one child on this trip and most of us wished he wasn't. He was rude and his parents did not manage him. HInt, don't bring your children if you aren't going to take care of them. There are trips that are more for children.

Everything about the ship was great. There was someone to help at the airport in Guayaquil and in Baltra. Know where you are going and what is going on and you will have a super trip.

Magilla Gorilla's Full Rating Summary

Cabin bottom deck D4

Cabin was always clean and beds made or turned down. Bathroom was adequate. Note you are not allowed to put toilet paper in the toilet. The can for this is emptied several times a day. Two steep sets of stairs down to the D level so be aware. Room under the bed for a fold down duffle. One porthole so you can see if it is light outside. Anchor up and down is very loud as is engine noise and the sound of water. I do have sleep issues so that is probably why I heard it. The last night I was so tired that I heard nothing.

Magilla Gorilla