Norwegian Star Cruise Review
2,612 Reviews

Adrift cruise in more than one way

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by jku2

• Sail Date: Feb 2017
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

We have been on many NCL cruises and when we saw this one that included Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand it really seemed perfect for us. I really wanted to see the wildlife of NZ.

As most of you know this cruise did not reach any port other than Melbourne.

I am disappointed that the ship broke down and had to be towed back.

There is and was a lot of anger by the passengers but that is not what I want to write my review on.

Embarkation went well. There is a bar under the area you dock at that had the Superbowl on and many passengers waited there instead of in lines. One major disappointment was that after checking in we were not allowed off the ship. This has never happened before and we had a few hours that we wanted to see more of Sydney.

We had a window cabin. It had less drawers than other cabins I have been in but otherwise was good. We had a great cabins steward.

Dining was good. We were surprised that passengers did not have to wait in lines or fight for tables in the morning. There are lots of omelet stations and a great selection of choices. Try the warm sticky buns!!

Shows were good and the group Exotique which performed nightly was fabulous.

The things that were bad were so outrageous that they could damage my views of NCL for a long time. The major problem was the treatment of the passengers by the staff.

When asking polite questions at the service counter I was treated with sneers and told that nothing could be answered unless the captain told them the answer. This was a reply I got numerous times, even when I asked what time an activity was.

I know that the staff was given a hard time by many passengers complaining about the cruise to nowhere. Still, there was no need for the staff to be rude to the passengers.

The person I have the most issue with is the future cruise consultant. None of the platinum ranked guests received any information upon arrival as to benefits.

A very long line filled up the atrium with guests wanting to sign up for activities such as the ship tour and for invitations for the past guests parties.

Events were then cancelled without informing passengers. I understand that a tour of the ship has to be cancelled because of a broken ship. What I can not fathom was why there was no notice.

The final straw came when the platinum party was suppose to be held. The room was filled with people waiting for the party. The day before a party was held for silver and gold members. If the party for platinum members had to be cancelled there should have been at least a person at the door waiting to tell us. Even a sign at the door should be the least expected. The future cruise consultant door was closed for the day.

We chose to leave the ship early as we were never given a time frame as to when or if the ship would be fixed and able to get us to Auckland. People stood in long lines trying to access the internet to book flights and hotels. Passengers were given 30 minutes of time for free. You should try to find out prices, times, airline schedules, and hotel rooms availability in thirty minutes.

We probably would had stayed on the ship if we were informed the ship was going to be fixed on time. The lack of information, actually no information as to status left us in limbo.

Overall, this could have been a wonderful cruise, Instead it was days of worry and frustration.

jku2's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OB 5586

Good choice of cabin. Close to all the elevators and easy to get to the floors where activities are held. Lack of drawers but lots of closet space and hangers!

jku2